Author Topic: A detailed Constantius II falling horseman  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Pharsalus

A detailed Constantius II falling horseman
« on: June 12, 2018, 09:24:22 AM »
Here is a nice Constantius II falling horseman I recently acquired:

AE Centenionalis
Constantius II, 337-361 CE
Diameter: 21 mm,  Weight: 6.32 grams,  Die Axis: 6h

Obverse: D N CONSTANTIVS PF AVG
                 Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust to right.
 Reverse: FEL TEMP REPARATIO
                Soldier (described also as Constantius II or the personification of Virtus) to right holding shield, spearing falling enemy horseman to left. Horseman tumbles over neck of horse, facing forwards with arms outstretched.

Mint: ANΘ, Γ in field to left: Antioch

The reverse retains some nice details. The 'barbarian' is sometimes described as a Goth or Parthian on these types. I'm not sure why, since the Parthian empire had fallen by the time of Constantius II. Of course this type could be a reference to an earlier event in Rome's history, but it seems more likely to be celebrating Constantius II's own battles with the Sassanid Empire then ruled by Shapur II.

The two statues below were found in Hatra, Iraq and are dated to the 3rd century CE. The first with the peaked cap is thought to be Sanatruq II, king of Hatra circa 205 to 240 CE. The second is a statue of a 'noble'. Hatra was an important border city with a cosmopolitan population, that at times included Romans. It was captured and sacked by Shapur I circa 241CE.  The dress on both statues, particularly the trousers, is remarkably similar to the fallen horseman on Constantius' coin. It suggests the engraver was familiar his subject, and that the falling horseman is more than just a generic 'foreigner'.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: A detailed Constantius II falling horseman
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 11:01:12 AM »
Yes, it is nicely detailed. I think that the nicest FEL TEMP's are from Antioch, which seems to have the best engravers at this time. I have seen many examples of similar barbarians and always assumed that what was depicted were some sort of laces, but it actually appears to be decorative rather than functional.

In the article by Konrad Kraft written in 1958 (“Die Taten der Kaiser Constans und Constantius II”), he argues that the FTR type should be assigned an earlier year of issue, maybe as early as A.D. 344. Kraft said that the two captives FTR was issued to celebrate the victory of the Roman Army under the command of Constantius II at the Battle of Singara, which occurred in A.D. 344. The Roman Empire claimed to have defeated the Sassanid Army led by Shapur II, but in reality the Persians left the battle, as Shapur II realized he was spread too thin.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: A detailed Constantius II falling horseman
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 03:44:54 PM »
I saw this coin and thought about the pictures of the statues, which I forgot to thank you for in my first post-- nice detective work. This is a FEL TEMP hut coin with the barbarian wearing similar pants. Kraft wrote that the Hut FTR coins were issued to commemorate the A.D. 342 resettlement of the Frankish people within the Roman Empire, on the left bank of the Rhine River, mainly in Toxandria. The statues are not Germanic people, though they appear to be wearing similar styles. Perhaps these are not exactly the same type of clothing.