Coin talk > Late Roman Bronze coins

Galerius GENIO POPVLI from Lyons...sceptres vs. spears

<< < (2/4) > >>

Lech Stępniewski:

--- Quote from: Genio popvli romani on March 14, 2017, 03:23:35 PM ---It could also be a plumbata

--- End quote ---

There was an interesting discussion about plumbatae on TPZN forum

http://forum.tpzn.pl/index.php/topic,10308.0.html

(unfortunately in Polish, but with many pictures  :) )

At the end, nearly all participants agreed that these "arrows" are not plumbatae but short spears called minor subarmalis and used by very skillful lanciarii. Kind of elite soldiers - which explains why rulers wanted to be portrayed with this weapon.

Plumbatae are shorter and looks different because of their lead parts: not like arrows but rather like a bigger darts.

Genio popvli romani:
Thank you, Lech, for the link, Google translate will help too.
I will read with interest as I was wondering why the so called plumbatae represented on coins look so different from the known object.

Genio popvli romani:
Great ! I have learnt something(s) too.  :D
Very convincing evidence.

Lech Stępniewski:

--- Quote from: Genio popvli romani on March 15, 2017, 09:13:28 AM ---I have learnt something(s) too.  :D

--- End quote ---

Glad! And I am impressed because I know how horrible is Google Translator when translating from/to Polish. I even don't understand my own words after translation  :)

Back to the topic. I am not so radical as Victor in his exclusion of sceptre. I believe that sometimes Caesar is really holding a sceptre (both tips rounded) because it shows that he is not only a warrior (with spear) but also a commander - with attribute of his power.

Victor:
I am very sceptical of bust types (which are otherwise identical) differentiated by a spear sometimes or a sceptre other times. I believe these are likely engraving differences, but meant to depict the same thing. For instance, most VLPP's have a clear spear, but some have rounded ends- are these sceptres, or reversed spears, or perhaps just poorly engraved.

Below is a VLPP from Siscia and London with an object that has a clearly rounded end...scepter or spear?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version