Coin talk > Late Roman Bronze coins

Galerius GENIO POPVLI from Lyons...sceptres vs. spears

(1/4) > >>

Victor:
This coin is not in RIC VI, but is in Bastien supplement I, listed as #226b.

Galerius
A.D. 301- 303           
28mm    8.4gm
MAXIMIANVS NOB CAES; laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right with spear over left shoulder.                 
GENIO POP-VLI ROMANI; Genius standing left by altar, modius on head, naked but for chlamys over left shoulder, right holding patera, B in right field.
In ex. PLG
RIC VI Lyons --

Lech Stępniewski:
Hi Victor,

what about LUGDUNUM 134 (bust type G)? I am not convinced that Galerius is holding spear. It could be a sceptre as well. Additionally, coin is in poor condition and probably was slightly tooled.

I am aware that the description of the bust type G says "sceptre over right shoulder" and here we have left shoulder and (possibly) spear. But Sutherland has not personally examined coins with bust type G (LUGDUNUM 133 and 134). He took the description from Voetter and stressed in footnotes that confirmation is needed.

In my opinion it is not a completely new variety but rather the confirmation of an already known type, which was inaccurately described.

Victor:
Yes, it could be confirmation of a misdescribed type. The supplement actually says 226b has a sceptre (bust F2), but I generally use the term spear (which is probably confusing). Bastien also refers to the object over the shoulder as being either "sceptre ou une haste"...an haste is a javelin, for another bust type (F6). Sometimes the object has a spearpoint, sometimes not, but perhaps it is meant to represent the same thing... a weapon. As far as tooling, I doubt it as the obverse still has much of the original silvering.

I have attached the bust type from Bastien for F6 (sceptre ou une haste) which I believe are probably the same object (spear) just differently engraved.

Genio popvli romani:
It could also be a plumbata turned once with "spearpoint" end up, once with "rounded" end up, like on this Probus bust. (the device held on Bastien F6 bust seem to be very short for a haste)

Victor:

--- Quote from: Genio popvli romani on March 14, 2017, 03:23:35 PM ---It could also be a plumbata turned once with "spearpoint" end up, once with "rounded" end up

--- End quote ---

That could very likely be what is being portrayed. I really don't believe it is a sceptre, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version