Coin talk > Late Roman Bronze coins

Galerius GENIO POPVLI from Lyons...sceptres vs. spears

<< < (3/4) > >>

Genio popvli romani:
Off topic about translation.

--- Quote from: Lech Stępniewski on March 15, 2017, 11:25:53 AM ---
Glad! And I am impressed because I know how horrible is Google Translator when translating from/to Polish. I even don't understand my own words after translation  :)

--- End quote ---

I am using a complementary translation module on firefox whish is based on Google translator and in my opinion, it works pretty well. But as I don't understand a single word of Polish, I may be wrong.  :o
So, I have attached the first message of the TPZN topic below...

About our topic, I think that we have also to keep in mind that sometimes, the scalptores didn't care about scale ratio (available surface and probable understanding should have prevailed). So, the size of an item should not be considered alone.

P.S. Note that Bastien has described #226 as "holding septre" (F*2)and the coin illustrated (same die?) shows two rounded tips.

Victor:

--- Quote from: Genio popvli romani on March 15, 2017, 03:07:24 PM ---About our topic, I think that we have also to keep in mind that sometimes, the scalptores didn't care about scale ratio

--- End quote ---

Yes, it is important to remember that. A good example of that is the busts with horses, where the head of the horse is much smaller in respect to the emperor.

Lech Stępniewski:

--- Quote from: Victor on March 15, 2017, 11:41:42 AM ---or perhaps just poorly engraved.

--- End quote ---

Well, I think that it is not difficult to engrave something which undoubtedly looks like a spear, with arrow-like, sharp tip. On the contrary, it is quite hard to engrave a spear which does not look like a spear and resembles (why?) sceptre :)

Lech Stępniewski:

--- Quote from: Genio popvli romani on March 15, 2017, 03:07:24 PM ---So, I have attached the first message of the TPZN topic below...

--- End quote ---

This translation is surprisingly good. The translator even correctly recognized sex of Sylviane Estiot from grammatical form (in Polish there is no need to add "she").

What is the name of this add-on to Firefox?

--- Quote from: Genio popvli romani on March 15, 2017, 03:07:24 PM ---the scalptores didn't care about scale ratio

--- End quote ---

Yes, you are right. The size could not be a clinching argument. However, plumbatae are not only smaller (which makes them easier to engrave on small flan), but also have a characteristic shape.

Genio popvli romani:
Here is the translation module : https://addons.mozilla.org/pl/firefox/addon/imtranslator/
Also exists for Chrome.

Note that as based on google translator, best results are obtained from a language to English and of course it is far from perfect but most of the time enough to understand the general meaning based on a correctly written original text.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version