Author Topic: Constantine I COMITI London  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine I COMITI London
« on: February 09, 2016, 11:34:00 AM »

CNG 368, Lot: 479. Estimate $100.    

"Constantine I. AD 307/310-337. Æ Follis (22mm, 4.38 g, 6h). Londinium (London) mint. Struck circa AD 311-312. Laureate, helmeted, and cuirassed bust right, holding spear forward and shield / Sol standing left, holding globe and whip; -/*//PLN. RIC VI –; Huvelin, Deux –; Cloke & Toone 7.03.019. VF, dark green patina, some roughness. Very rare variety.

This combination of obverse legend and type is not described by the authors of RIC (it should be legend 1d with obverse J). Huvelin did not describe the type either in her NZ article, but Hubert Cloke and Lee Toone in their new work, The London Mint of Constantius & Constantine, describe the type based on one example known to them from the Bourton-on-the-Water Hoard (no. 328)."

Offline elagabale2000

Re: Constantine I COMITI London
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 01:56:00 PM »
Wonderful bust  :o :o

Offline tenbobbit

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 08:19:29 PM »
Very interesting and nice coin Victor.
I have a few London mint Sol reverse coins so decided to see if I had anything like yours and look what I found.
Poor condition sadly, possible Obverse legend error - IMPCONSTANTINVS?AVG and the star field mark on the reverse looks a bit odd.
Weight 3.6g

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 08:51:43 PM »
IMPCONSTANTINVS?AVG and the star field mark on the reverse looks a bit odd.

The coin I posted isn't mine, just a nice one from the latest CNG auction.

Your obverse legend looks like IMP CONSTANTINVS P AVG. This legend is not listed in RIC for this series (in fact there are no long legends listed with IMP in RIC for this issue, though they have been discovered since), but Huvelin does list it as #26 and she also shows an example in the Boursies Hoard as #346.

Huvelin, Helene. "Les Deux Emissions Londoniennes." NZ 101 (1990) 29-50.

Stewartby, Lord. "Coins of the Mint of London from the Boursies Hoard (313/14)." Revue Numismatique 36 (1994) 90- 108.

the articles are linked on this page--  http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/articles/

Your coin is also listed in the new book by Cloke and Toone, The London Mint of Constantius & Constantine as # 7.03.003

So your coin might be a bit worn, but it is a rare example.

Offline tenbobbit

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 11:00:06 AM »
Many thanks for all the info Victor, very interesting.
I see the coin you posted a picture of sold for $360 hammer price, a bit rich for me  :(