Author Topic: Constantine I VIRTVS AVGG ET CAESS NN from Ticinum  (Read 1601 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine I VIRTVS AVGG ET CAESS NN from Ticinum
« on: January 17, 2015, 12:39:30 PM »

This one just sold for $359.71

Constantine I
A.D. 306- 307
CONSTANTINVS NOB CAES, laureate head right.
VIRTVS AV-GG ET CAESS NN, Prince, with shield on left arm, galloping right, and spearing kneeling foeman; second foeman prostrate on ground.
In ex. ST
RIC VI Ticinum 82

Online Nikko

Re: Constantine I VIRTVS AVGG ET CAESS NN from Ticinum
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 12:18:41 PM »
A truly rare coin with an intruding reverse. By the way, the surfaces look too much frail IMHO.

Offline seth

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 10:06:00 AM »
I had a very low bid on this one, more to keep an eye on the auction than an actual attempt at buying it. It went for more than I would have expected, but I think this happens quite frequently when you follow bronzes that are known rarities but that you don't actively collect - you're always amazed that people would spend that much money for an AE. And then you get your eyes on something you actively collect and all bets are off.

Online Nikko

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 11:23:59 AM »
Hi Seth, i don't know if 300€ are too much for that coin but i think that a reputable auction house wouldn't sell it for less.

I did not bid on it because of the corrosion areas on the head, but the reverse is superbe indeed .... de gustibus.

I paid 150€ fot this one (before and after the restoration).

Offline seth

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 12:33:22 PM »
I think 150E is a good price to pay for that coin. I was actually expecting the OP one to sell for around the same amount. Yours does not have the problems apparent on that one, even in the "before" photo. Also, trying to clean that obverse might be a VERY difficult challenge.

Online Nikko

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 12:47:37 PM »
Also, trying to clean that obverse might be a VERY difficult challenge.

I agree, it could be easily destroyed.

What means "OP one"?

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 01:41:27 PM »
I think 150E is a good price to pay for that coin. I was actually expecting the OP one to sell for around the same amount.

I was the underbidder on it and was a little concerned about being able to sell it for more than my max bid. The obverse had some issues but the reverse was strong. I don't actually price coins until I can see them in hand, but was thinking that I might be able to sell the coin around $400 in my Vcoins store, but would not be surprised to have it for a while until the right buyer came along. I have quite a few coins that I might have paid too much for and have had sitting around for over two years.

What means "OP one"?

original poster or post

Offline seth

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 02:09:17 PM »
Last year I have won a coin that also has the same problems present in the OP coin but I didn't dare touch it. Speaking of paying a lot for a coin that you're actually interested in, some of our colleagues considered I paid too much for it at 150$ :)