Author Topic: Constantine I campgate from London  (Read 3775 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine I campgate from London
« on: October 09, 2014, 06:42:01 PM »

This coin has a dot in the bottom of the doorway, which I would consider dismissing as merely a centering dot; but it is placed too low for that and the top brick over the doorway has a proper centering dot.

Constantine I
A.D. 324-5
19x21mm    3.3gm
CONSTANT-INVS AVG; Laureate bust
PROVIDEN-TIAE AVGG; camp gate with two turrets and star between them, dot in bottom of doorway.
in ex. PLON
RIC VII London 293 var

Offline Genio popvli romani

Re: Constantine I campgate from London
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 12:44:41 PM »
What is strange is that most of the coins of this issue, particularly 293 and 296 show this dot at the bottom of the arch but RIC only mention this dot in notes.
I wonder if we should consider separate issues or same issue with a simple distinctive mark (accounting purpose?) like Rome 264 and following?
ROMA CAPVT MVNDI REGIT ORBIS FRENA ROTVNDI

Offline Nikko

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 01:15:23 PM »
Although it is not a centering dot, i suppose it is still a reference point.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 08:49:47 AM »
like Rome 264 and following?

Good point! I believe that there is enough examples to be sure that these dots are a part of mintmark.

Offline Nikko

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 03:39:19 PM »
And what about this one?

It has a dot above the ark, a dot in the bottom of the doorway and another dot at the end of the legend or in exergue.

Dots everywhere!  :o

Offline leetoone

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 04:49:18 AM »
I think that is the problem, Nicola, dots everywhere  ;D

We considered these varieties very carefully, and illustrate a number of types but the lack of consistency meant we were unable to put a convincing argument for any form of separate issue.

'Attention has previously been drawn to the occasional existence of pellets at various points on some of
the later London issues (Toone 2008, 174). They are known at the end of the mintmark and also in the
reverse field (for Fausta and Helena) or in the doorway of the camp gate types. However, it is doubtful
whether these pellets were intended to denote anything significant at the time of issue. They most likely
represent, as was the case with the pellets in the reverse legends of the BEATA and BEAT issues, the
sort of spacing guidelines or minor variations to be encountered on any large coinage. Thus, they have
not been treated separately in the catalogue.'

Offline Nikko

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 05:05:17 AM »
I think that is the problem, Nicola, dots everywhere  ;D

We considered these varieties very carefully, and illustrate a number of types but the lack of consistency meant we were unable to put a convincing argument for any form of separate issue.

'Attention has previously been drawn to the occasional existence of pellets at various points on some of
the later London issues (Toone 2008, 174). They are known at the end of the mintmark and also in the
reverse field (for Fausta and Helena) or in the doorway of the camp gate types. However, it is doubtful
whether these pellets were intended to denote anything significant at the time of issue. They most likely
represent, as was the case with the pellets in the reverse legends of the BEATA and BEAT issues, the
sort of spacing guidelines or minor variations to be encountered on any large coinage. Thus, they have
not been treated separately in the catalogue.'

Hi Lee, thank you for your reply!

Yes, they could be a sort of guidelines.

I am convincing of this after seeing the coin attached. The dots seem to indicate where the mintmark and the reverse legend had to end!

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 12:30:19 PM by Nikko »

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 06:07:28 PM »

here's another example with a dot in the bottom of the doorway.

Constantine I
A.D. 324-5
19x21mm    2.8gm
CONSTAN-TINVS AVG; Laureate bust right.
PROVIDEN-TIAE AVGG; camp gate with two turrets and star between them; • in bottom of doorway.
in ex. PLON
RIC VII London 293 var.