Author Topic: Magnentius with chi-rho  (Read 1465 times)

Offline livingwater

Magnentius with chi-rho
« on: October 07, 2014, 06:36:37 PM »
I've had this Amiens coin for over twenty years, Magnentius with chi-rho reverse but the A and W are on the wrong sides.  It does not appear to me to be barbarous so it must be a mint error?  I don't recall seeing another like this.

Online Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Magnentius with chi-rho
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 07:45:52 PM »
That's a neat coin. My first impression is that it is not official, though. The portrait seems a little off and the form of some of the letters in the legends don't look right- the small D of DN on the obverse and the terminal G of AVG and a few others are not really uniform. This period is also one of epidemic minting of unofficial coins.

Offline livingwater

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 10:29:12 AM »
Hi Victor,
Yes I think you are right, an unofficial coin.  Some use "unofficial" and others "barbarous."  Is there a difference?

Online Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 11:25:48 AM »
Yes I think you are right, an unofficial coin.  Some use "unofficial" and others "barbarous."  Is there a difference?

No, the terms are used interchangeably, though "barbarous" usually infers a more crude style. I try to use unofficial as it encompasses a broader range than what people typically think of with "barbarous".