Author Topic: Contornate? Medallion?  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Nikko

Contornate? Medallion?
« on: April 11, 2014, 09:28:25 AM »
I am extremely fascinated by this piece and I have a chance to buy it.

It was sold by an italian auction house a couple of years ago and described as:

Contorniate, Minerva type, Rome, c. half IV - V century AD, AE, (g 25,95, mm 36, h 12). Helmeted bust of Minerva l., holding sceptre, Rv. Roma seated l. on cuirass, holding Victory on globe and reversed spear; in field, S - C. Alföldi, Kontorniat, pl. 24,1-7 (obv) and 214, 2 (rev); C 9 (obv).
Very rare. Apparently unpublished. Hole at h 10/1. Dark patina. About very fine.

I am not convinced that it is a contorniate, but rather a medallion struck for the inauguration of Constantinopolis.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 11:31:27 AM by Nikko »

Online Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Contornate? Medallion?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 11:14:32 AM »
I am not convinced that it is a contorniate, but rather a medallion struck for the inauguration of Constantinopolis.

Everything about this seems to indicate that it was struck in Rome. Minerva on the obverse is one of the "Capitoline Triad" which included Jupiter and Juno and all three were worshiped in the same temple in Rome. The reverse of Roma is of course linked with the city of Rome. The reverse also has SC (Senatvs Consvltvm) and I can't think of an example of this being used on a coin from Constantinople. As contorniates all have pagan themes, some have suggested that they were issued as "anti- Christian propaganda by the Roman aristocracy" (Jones, A Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins, pg 72)

Offline Nikko

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 11:30:54 AM »
It's hard to be sure that the figure on the obverse is Minerva. It could also be the personification of Rome or Constantinopolis as on the common commemorative bronze coins.

I found another record for this piece and it was described by CNG as:

CONTORNIATE. Roma. Late 4th century AD. Æ 36mm (26.00 g, 12h). Helmeted bust of Roma right / Roma Victrix seated left. Cf. Alföldi, Kontorniat, pl. 24, 1-7 and 214, 2. Fine, red and brown patina, holed. An apparently unpublished die combination.
http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=79353

Another similar One reports the legend VRBS ROMA:

http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=76834

Online Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 11:51:03 AM »
Yes, it is hard to be sure that the obverse is Minerva, but Minerva or Roma everything else points to a Rome issue and the two you linked to further strengthen the Rome connection as both of them also seem to be from Rome

p.s. the obverse seems unlikely to be Roma as that would be very unusual to have Roma on the obverse and Roma on the reverse. It would also be unusual to have a Roma reverse with the personification of Constantinopolis on the obverse. Plus, with the Roma reverse, the city of Rome seems the most likely candidate for having issued this piece.