Author Topic: Constantine I HERCVLI VICTORI from Nicomedia  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine I HERCVLI VICTORI from Nicomedia
« on: March 02, 2014, 02:47:40 PM »
This coin just sold for $364.64. It is only listed in RIC for Maximinus, but should be RIC VI Nicomedia 68c. Lech has another example from this officina-
http://www.notinric.lechstepniewski.info/6nic-68_con_b.html

Constantine I
A.D. 311- 313
22mm   5.3gm
IMP C FL VAL CONSTANTINVS P F AVG; laureate bust right.
HERCVLI VICTORI; Hercules standing right, right hand behind back, left leaning on club covered by lion's skin, in left field B.
in exergue SMN

Offline Gavin

Re: Constantine I HERCVLI VICTORI from Nicomedia
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 09:15:16 AM »
I'd like to resurrect this post and ask a question about this coin.

I've read Victor's fine discussion of this "Hercules Farnese" post here: http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/HERCVLI/

The discussion raises the issue of Tetrarchic iconography and its relationship to this coin (i.e., Western emperors such as Constantine were of the "Herculian" house.)

Since this coin was struck only in Eastern mints and was much more common for Maximinus II (and at mints controlled by him, I think?), it seems that Hercules more reflects Maximinus II's affinity for the god rather than an intentional evocation of Tetrarchic iconography. I'm thinking Maximinus II liked the Hercules reverse and simply struck it for Constantine and Licinius in 312 during a brief moment when an alliance seemed possible. With that having been said, perhaps he was "honoring" the other (Herculian) house as part of this alliance hope? I'm just not sure how much Tetrarchic iconography plays into the choice of an Eastern emperor to strike a Hercules coin. Would love to hear some idle speculation.

BTW, I snagged one of these years ago off eBay. I was surprised to see it at the NOT IN RIC site. I guess Lech does his homework: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/notinric/6nic-75_d.html

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 09:29:35 AM »
the Hercules type was more common fron the East, and perhaps Maximinus II did have an affinity; but Constantine still struck Hercules coins (different from Farnese) for himself. This example from Rome was only struck in the name of Constantine.

Constantine I
A.D. 312- 313
21mm   4.7g
IMP C CONSTANTINVS P F AVG; laureate and cuirassed bust right.
HERCVLI VICTORI; Hercules standing right, leaning on club and holding Victory on globe and lion’s skin.
In ex. R S
RIC VI Rome 299

Offline Gavin

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 09:39:26 AM »
Interesting. And then there's this rarity: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/notinric/6ost-79_p.html

I assume this is Constantine spiking the football after taking over the Ostia mint from a defeated Maxentius.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 09:57:13 AM »
Of course, the question is, how much did the Emperor micro-manage the mints? For instance, did Constantine tell the mint supervisor what types to mint or was it all left to the supervisor...perhaps the Emperor merely hinted at what he would like or was completely hands off.

Offline Gavin

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 10:17:59 AM »
Yes. I'd love to read a scholarly treatment of that very question.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 05:18:49 PM »
BTW, I snagged one of these years ago off eBay. I was surprised to see it at the NOT IN RIC site. I guess Lech does his homework: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/notinric/6nic-75_d.html

Hi Gavin,

could you give me, please, more data (weight, diameter). Do you want to be credited as an owner?

Offline Gavin

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 10:30:03 AM »
Hi Lech,

Sure, you can credit me as an owner. Here are more details:

SIZE: 20.25 x 21.21 mm.
WEIGHT: 4.13 g.
DIE AXIS: 180°

I tried to take a better photograph, but the coin’s features are “soft.” I'm afraid all of this eBay seller’s coins have a “rock tumbler cleaned” appearance.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 05:56:08 PM »
Thanks, especially for the better picture!