Author Topic: Constantine - unlisted VOT XX with "eyes to Heaven" bust  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Nikko

Constantine - unlisted VOT XX with "eyes to Heaven" bust
« on: July 05, 2013, 03:38:47 PM »
Constantine I as Augustus nummus:

O/: CONSTAN-TINVS AVG;  head r., with pearl-diadem, looking upwards [E6].
R/: DN CONSTANTINI MAX AVG; laurel wreath enclosing VOT/XX. Star in middle field. SMHΒ in exergue.
RIC VII Heraclea --
UNLISTED BUST TYPE - E6. RIC lists for Constantine I only bust type B1 (p. 549). Coin should be listed after HERACLEA 60.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:06:35 PM by Nikko »

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Constantine - unlisted VOT XX with "eyes to Heaven" bust
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 12:41:45 PM »
There is a lot of variation in the bust types. This one has some uplifting of the chin, perhaps exaggerated by the iris of the eye looking up, but is not looking up to the heavens as certainly as other unambiguous examples. Of course, sometimes this is arbitrary and I have had some that I puzzled over for a bit. We need to be clear also on the distinction between the official EtH bust and other busts that may just be careless or sloppy on the part of the engraver...was he trying to engrave the head tilting up to the heavens (and if he was, why not do it boldly as other examples were done) or just a regular bust type with a bit of variation. Plus, at A.D. 324, this would be an early example of this bust type. It is usually only found after A.D. 325 post Council of Nicea (which may be only a coincidence) and was most popular circa A.D. 327.

Offline Nikko

Re: Constantine - unlisted VOT XX with "eyes to Heaven" bust
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 04:15:50 PM »
Plus, at A.D. 324, this would be an early example of this bust type.

I think this is the key of the puzzle. 

I found on your pages a couple of similar ones.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 04:19:54 PM by Nikko »