Author Topic: FRACTIONAL ISSUES OF 313  (Read 319 times)

Offline Gavin

FRACTIONAL ISSUES OF 313
« on: January 31, 2024, 03:02:32 PM »
I lurk periodically on this discussion board and contribute little, so I probably don’t deserve the board’s wisdom here. But I wanted to visit the fractional issues of Constantine ca. 313, shortly after his defeat of Maxentius.

I’ve made a composite photo of the coins in question, I think from Victor's images. The three coins have FVNDAT PACIS, GLORIA PERPET, and SAPIENT PRINCIPIS reverses. Victor has a nice page on these: http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/pacis/

Still, I have some lingering questions. I’d be grateful for any input or idle speculation.

1.   My first question is pretty banal. I’ve just never seen a nice one of these. The details are always soft, or the strike is shallow, or there is a lot of wear. Is there any logical accounting for this anecdotal observation? Is this phenomenon simply a function of having a small surviving pool of coins to begin with, or were these coins poorly produced from the start?

2.   Why is Constantine bare-headed on all three coins? I suppose one answer is that the bare-headed obverse bust somehow correlates to the unusual denomination, not unlike the radiate bust on the VIRT EXERCIT GALL fractional issue of about the same time. (But note that the fractional PACI PERPET coin has a laureate bust.) I feel like there must some occasional reason why the obverse bust is bareheaded, as if such a portrait conveyed a greater sense of sacredness, though sacredness is usually indicated by a covered head in Roman iconography. I find the bareheaded bust enigmatic.

Rome and Trier were the only two mints to strike these coins. It appears that they were struck for both Constantine and Licinius at Rome (RIC VII, p. 297), but only for Constantine at Trier (RIC VII, p. 169). Again, I’m speaking anecdotally, but it seems that the coins for Licinius and all those from Trier are much rarer than Constantine issues struck at Rome.

Any thoughts about the above?

Gavin

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: FRACTIONAL ISSUES OF 313
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 04:45:49 PM »
A guess as to why he is bare-headed...maybe to seem more peaceful. Helmeted busts are pretty martial and a laureate bust still says "hey, I'm the Emperor" but the bare head is very laid back and casual.

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 05:59:15 PM »
There were two groups of fractions issued from Rome shortly after Constantine's victory:

1) VIRT EXERCIT GALL, PACI PERPET (Constantine only)

2) FVNDAT PACIS, GLORIA PERPET, SAPIENTIA PRINCIPIS (Constantine + Licinius)

The first group, per the Gallic army reference, is celebrating Constantine's victory, and per bust style was issued first.

The second group (Licinius, Rome+Trier, etc) is clearly distinct from the first and must celebrate a different occasion, which it seems would generally have to be the new accord between Constantine and Licinius (cemented by Licinius marrying Constantia). Since the SAPIENTIA type copies an Arles solidus type (also issued for both Constantine & Licinius), it suggests a date after the death of Maximinus II (who does not appear at Arles) in 313. It's tempting to connect these types to the "edict of Milan", but given that Daia was still alive at the time of Licininius' visit to Milan, they may have been issued a bit later, even if that is what the SAPIENTIA type alludes to. Alternatively maybe these are just celebrating the alliance?

The bare headed busts would seem related to the reason/occasion for issue, and seems to fit well with a message of peaceful accord and familial connection - the propaganda message seems to be that this is a personal relationship. There is also an unlisted Trier fraction (featured on the cover of one of Zschucke's books) with bare headed busts that may be related to same occasion.

I agree these are hard to find in high grade (I haven't even bothered to acquire them myself), but some like the ones below are decent, so maybe there is nothing unusual there. The SAPIENTIA reverse (esp. owl!) is often poorly done, but that seems mainly due to the size (with this one smaller than the other two).

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 01:21:07 PM »
here's my current set

Constantine I
A.D. 313
16x17mm  1.6gm    half follis
IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG; bare head right.
FVNDAT PACIS; Mars, helmeted, nude, advancing right, looking left, trophy across left shoulder, flying chlamys, dragging captive by hair.
In ex. RS     
RIC VII 12 Rome

Constantine I
A.D. 313
17mm 1.6g
GLORIA PERPET; Two victories advancing right, both holding wreath and palm frond, standard between them
In ex. R[…]
RIC VII Rome 14

Constantine I
A.D. 313
14mm   1.1gm
quarter follis
SAPIENTIA PRINCIPIS [Wisdom of the Prince] Altar with owl, spear across altar, shield to left and helmet to right.
in ex. RS   
RIC VII Rome 16

Offline Gavin

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2024, 10:19:36 AM »
That’s an interesting suggesting that the latter set celebrates the (short-lived) unity of Constantine and Licinius as opposed to a military victory. That does comport better with the bare headed obverse bust. Thanks for the discussion and examples.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2024, 12:48:46 PM »
on my page that you linked to, created in 2008, I said "they obviously commemorated peace in the Empire. This time of peace was the culmination of many events—Constantine defeated Maxentius, Licinius defeated Maximinus, Constantine’s sister married Licinius and cemented peace between the two rulers, and in A.D. 313, Constantine and Licinius signed the Edict of Milan." The title of the page is even "Founder of Peace"