Author Topic: Crispus from Trier - unlisted bust  (Read 518 times)

Offline crispus

Crispus from Trier - unlisted bust
« on: October 06, 2023, 11:16:28 AM »
not the nicest Crispus but unlisted

IVL CRISPVS NOB CAES, Laoureated, draped and cuirassed bust right holding spear over right shoulder and Sol on globe in the left hand
R/ BEATA TRAN-QVILLITAS, globe set on altar inscribed VO/TIS/XX, three stars above
•STR crescent in exergue - Trier - 323 - 17,5 x 19,5 mm - 2.65 g
not in RIC. - not in  RMBT, this bust is missing

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Crispus from Trier - unlisted bust
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 11:21:06 AM »
congrats...a nice addition to your collection

Offline Lech Stępniewski

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 05:56:48 AM »
Congratulations. Very unusual bust. Are you sure that there is Sol and not Victory with obliterated wing? I wonder if this bust is not identical with bust on TRIER 384.

https://ikmk.smb.museum/object?id=18202584

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 07:49:21 AM »
I'm also guessing Victory. There are busts with Sol, but those seem to be ones with consular bust, and Victory would seem more logical for a martial bust with spear, although the leg pose does seem more like Sol.

Here's another 384 ex. Dr. Busso 380.948 (not mine), and a Sol example from Berlin for comparison.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 04:41:02 PM »
it's hard to be sure, but I see Sol...especially what seems to be the radiate headdress.

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 05:17:05 PM »
Yes, looking at it again I think you're probably right.

It's interesting to see Sol appear at such a late date, with Trier already having used the Chi-Rho shield on the preceding issue. Interesting times!

I think the only later Sol is the Constantine solidus RIC VII Antioch 49 from a year later in 324 AD.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2023, 07:56:17 AM »
I am still not convinced. There is no wreath in r. hand (Victory) but there is also no globe in l. hand (Sol).

However, the bust type which is already attested for this issue (spear + Victory) seems to be more probable that completely new type, and rather peculiar one: spear + Sol. This new type is not absolutely impossible but note that on coin from Berlin young Constantine is depicted as a priest of Sol, not in military way.

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2023, 09:23:15 AM »
I'm not sure how much we can understand from these trabeate gallic busts ... At the mints under Constantine's control it seems that trabea + sceptre is intended as a consular depiction, since the dates align with consular dates. At Crispus' mints we see trabeate busts with sceptres used seemingly indiscriminately, including on coins assigned to the 322-323 AD period when the consulships were not held by members of the imperial family. So, how to interpret these? Imperial attire would seem to be the default assumption (at least to me). What's the basis for assuming that any of these busts are intended to depict the wearer in role of a priest ?

Offline Lech Stępniewski

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2023, 11:44:06 AM »
As nearly always we are in the area of speculations. There is no good ultimate answer for your question. Looks like a priest (as we imagine it), holding globe with Sol, so this coin was probably intended to depict priest of Sol. Why? Who knows...

Offline crispus

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2023, 11:39:03 AM »
Sorry to be so late to reply,

it is not easy but for me it's Sol, Victory wear a dress ans here there is no dress.

Alten 159 & 160 have a bust cuirassed with paludament with Sol for Constantine II (bust 38 r) and mint mark dot STR crescent  as my coin.
There is no picture.

Guy