Author Topic: RIC VI Lyons 266 - corrected (BM coin)  (Read 308 times)

Offline Heliodromus

RIC VI Lyons 266 - corrected (BM coin)
« on: September 20, 2023, 10:26:48 AM »
It turns out the BM specimen of RIC VI Lyons 266 is in fact on their web site, but with a partial incorrect attribution which is why it doesn't show up in their search.

You can find it via OCRE though:

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/C_B-1177

So, given that this is RIC's type specimen, it seems the RIC description is wrong, and minimally "altar surmounted by eagle" should instead be "lighted altar". Given this, it doesn't really seem to deserve a separate type, since it's just a variant of RIC 268 (with the altar standing on a decorated base). RIC would normally record something like this via footnote rather than a new type.

Here's the BM "RIC 266" (aka RIC 268 var), followed by Vienna 268 and another 268 from trade (not mine) for comparison.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

Re: RIC VI Lyons 266 - corrected (BM coin)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 12:31:38 PM »
Nice. Riddle solved. And all this happened perhaps because someone forgot his glasses and the flame on the altar seemed to him like an eagle. So the LUGDUNUM 266 actually does not exist.

Thanks. Ben!

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 03:04:33 PM »
Another thing I just noticed when looking at OCRE is that RIC 251 comes in two variants - one (presumably the first) with an "X" on the altar, and the other with a garlanded altar. I assume Bastien noted both types? It makes for a nice progression from simple to more elaborate through these early altar types, with the notable switch from CONSECRATIO to MEMORIA FELIX in the middle.

Below: BM, Vienna, BM, eBay specimens of RIC 251 (X), RIC 251 (garlanded), RIC 267 and RIC 268.

It's interesting that only Lyons had such a variety of these types for Divus Constantiius. Why Lyons?!

Offline Lech Stępniewski

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 03:39:05 PM »
I assume Bastien noted both types?

Yes and no. He cites (no. 436 = LUGDUNUM 251) the same specimens (BM and Vienna/Voetter) but does not mention different types of altar. In footnote he is only interested in unexpected PL on Vienna coin.

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 04:44:19 PM »
I think the "PL" on the Vienna coin is just a clogged die, and it really reads "P C" (with room for L in the middle). I've increased the contrast on the photo, and I think you can see the faint "L".

Here's another specimen with the garlanded altar that is certainly PLC.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2023, 04:47:20 AM »
I think the "PL" on the Vienna coin is just a clogged die

You are probably right but the last letter still looks more like "L".