Author Topic: DIVO CONSTANTIO PIO  (Read 391 times)

Offline Adriaan78

DIVO CONSTANTIO PIO
« on: September 17, 2023, 12:48:39 PM »
I already have a relatively a large number of Constantius Chloris folles. However, this commemorative was still missing... Very happy to have it in my collection now, although it is a bit rough. It think it is quite rare as I haven't seem it in auctions very often. Minted under Constantine in Lyon (RIC 269).

Offline Lech Stępniewski

Re: DIVO CONSTANTIO PIO
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 02:47:38 PM »
Very interesting coin. I believe that the bust is veiled, cuirassed and draped, so it is unlisted in RIC and also in Bastien (similar to no. 518 in Bastien but with different reverse). This bust type is marked in Bastien K*1. RIC VI LUGDUNUM 269 (= Bastien 500) has bust K*2.

Would you give the weight and the diameter, please.

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 11:39:00 AM »
I think these veiled busts may all be intended just as veiled and cuirassed. The depiction does vary a bit .. on some the cuirass is visible on the near (emporor's right) shoulder, while on others it seems to be the veil itself that is draped over this shoulder. On some there is a loop of drapery on the far (emperor's left) shoulder, even when the front of the cuirass is visible and it's not a draped bust as such. The depiction of the emperor's chest also varies - sometimes clearly just a cuirass but other times more ambiguous...  I think RIC VI Trier was smart in just calling the bust "laureate, veiled" and leaving it at that!

BTW, does Bastien illustrate RIC 266 (eagles either side of garlanded alter, plus eagle on top) ? RIC only lists a BM specimen which doesn't appear to be in their online database. I wonder if it could be a worn specimen of RIC 268 which is the same but with flames on top of the altar instead of an eagle ?

Offline Lech Stępniewski

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 04:29:19 PM »
BTW, does Bastien illustrate RIC 266

No, RIC 266 is not listed in Bastien and there is also no information (at least I am not aware of) why this type is not listed (Bastien sometimes mentions in footnotes that one variety or another which is listed in RIC has not been found)

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 05:25:46 PM »
No, RIC 266 is not listed in Bastien

Thanks! So I suppose it's reasonable to assume that he wasn't able to confirm the BM specimen, which makes the type very doubtful since it was the only one cited by RIC.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2023, 01:07:06 AM »
Congrats on your new coin...it's a very awesome example!