Author Topic: Late Roman Bronze Coinage: A Collector's Community (Facebook Group)  (Read 303 times)

Offline KostasAlexander

I would like to thank Victor for his blessing on letting us make this post to promote the new Facebook group that both Nikko and myself recently founded. There are countless ancient coin collectors and many dedicated groups on Facebook already, but surprisingly were none focusing on LRBs. Nikko and I both really love the community and content within this forum and wanted to bring something like it to Facebook. We started the "Late Roman Bronze Coinage: A Collector's Community" group with that purpose.

If you already have Facebook page or are thinking about creating one, we would love to have you be a part of what we are building over there.

Thank you!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/263302236477058

Offline Lech Stępniewski

Re: Late Roman Bronze Coinage: A Collector's Community (Facebook Group)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2023, 01:03:17 PM »
Can you explain why to start such a group on Facebook? Why does the various interesting information need to be dispersed even more? There is FAC, there is Victor's forum with not-so-strict rules against eBay or other sellers. For me, social media (such as Facebook Twitter, Instagram etc.) are neither suitable for discussion, nor are they a good data resource, because searching them is a tragedy. The classic discussion forum wasn't invented for no reason. And it works pretty good! So?

Offline KostasAlexander

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2023, 01:50:51 PM »
I guess we can agree to disagree. Nothing was intended to supplant or replace any of the others, just to broaden the audience. I agree with you that searching on social
Media can be a big cumbersome (on a Facebook group it is a little easier) but there is something about the human element on Facebook that is really nice. Although not for everyone (I can see the drawbacks for sure) but I can personally say I’ve made many great friendships with other collectors and enthusiasts on Facebook (Nikko for one). I’ve met many in person and speak with others regularly on applications like messenger. If it was a classic discussion forum, it may not have been the case as it is a little less personal. Both are great, but they are different and I realize both may not be for everyone.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2023, 02:10:46 PM »
OK. I can understand "human element" and "broadening the audience" but my main concern is that instead of accumulating, information is becoming more and more dispersed. So, please, inform me (personally) of any unlisted coins that will appear on this group.