Author Topic: Constantine I VIRTVS AVGG ET CAESS NN from Ticinum  (Read 347 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine I VIRTVS AVGG ET CAESS NN from Ticinum
« on: August 07, 2023, 01:00:11 PM »
Here is an early issue for Constantine from Ticinum and per RIC was only struck for Constantine and demonstrated that Ticinum was “already showing strong signs of Constantine’s influence” (RIC VI p. 274) It was struck shortly before Maxentius took control.

Constantine I
A.D. 306
28mm 8.7g
CONSTANTINVS NOB CAES; laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from rear.
VIRTVS AVGG ET CAESS NN; Prince with shield on left arm, galloping right and spearing kneeling foe; second foe (holding sword?) prostrate on ground; A in left field.
In ex. TT
RIC VI Ticinum 72

Offline Heliodromus

Re: Constantine I VIRTVS AVGG ET CAESS NN from Ticinum
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 02:20:33 PM »
I see the RIC 72 bust type is listed incorrectly as LD when it really should be LDCR consistent with other Ticinum issues.

There's also an error in RIC 71(laureate), which cites a specimen in the BM, but the BM specimen (ex. Bastien M&M 61) is actually RIC 72 corr (LDCR).

The RIC 60-63 (PuT) and RIC 64-72 (PT, A) issues are both odd in that they include Constantine as caesar, but no Severus II as augustus (might expect FIDES MILITVM type for him), and this horseback type is only listed for Constantine in the "A" issue. The horseback type also exists, unlisted, for Constantine in the "PuT" issue.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/notInRic/6tic-63b.html

I suspect that the omissions (Severus II in both issues, Daia horseback both issues) may be due to the rarity of the issues - exist but just not yet seen. It certainly would be odd for Galerius/Sevreus to be favoring the begrudgingly recognized Constantine for the legitimate Daia!

Offline Lech Stępniewski

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 08:16:02 AM »
And what about TICINIUM 76 and 77. I am pretty sure that bust types B and C are both wrongly described and in fact only one variant exists.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/notinric/6tic76cor_s.html

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/notinric/6tic76cor_t.html

Ben, do you suggest that TICINUM 71 does not exist? It is possible.

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 09:01:43 AM »
I've only these Ticinum Virtvs Avgg Et Caess NN issues only use laureate or LDCR busts.

It seems the horseback type is usually paired with an LDCR bust, and Mars with a laureate bust, but this doesn't seem to have been strict - for example RIC 76 or the unlisted one below.

I've not seen RIC 71, but given how scarce the issue is, and use of both L, LDCR busts for the Mars, I'd not be surprised it it exists. Too bad that the BNF LRBs are not online, or half the Vienna ones !