Coin talk > Uncleaned

Constantine VIRTVS AVGG ET CAESS N N from Ticinum...before and after

(1/2) > >>

Victor:
before and after cleaning

Constantine I
A.D. 306
Ӕ follis  26x28mm     9.7g
CONSTANTINVS NOB CAES; laureate head right.
VIRTVS AVGG ET CAESS N N; Mars, helmeted, advancing right and holding spear and trophy; • in left field.
In ex. T T
RIC VI Ticinum 75

Joshmaggosh:
Great results! I have a lot of coins that look like your initial coin that I’d like to clean. What method did you use?

Victor:
I soaked it in sodium carbonate. I used Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda for about a week and then swapped over to a product called Alconox.

Heliodromus:
Interesting - great result!

What was the appearance like after the first step, before the Alconox ? Did the Alcononx remove any greenies, or just fur surface cleaning ?

I've also heard of people using Vulpex soap, another specialized soap/detergent, for coin finishing - but not for removing deposits.

What concentration of washing soda did you use - does it make much difference ?

Victor:
I soaked in washing soda for about a week with just a bit of change, so I decided to go with alconox for the heavy lifting...so the alconox did most of the removal. The alconox could have removed the rest on the reverse, but I was worried about the surface of the coin...you can see on the reverse ,especially by the S and dot, how bare metal was starting to show. I guesstimate how much cleaner to use, but it was close to a tablespoon for a cup of water.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version