Coin talk > Uncleaned

Constantine VIRTVS AVGG ET CAESS N N from Ticinum...before and after

<< < (2/2)

Heliodromus:
Thanks.

Did you mean 1 tablespoon/cup for the soda, or for the Alconex ? That seems very strong for the Alconex, but whatever works! They talk about using a couple of tablespoons per gallon for a 1% solution for it's normal uses.

Looking at the ingredient list it's interesting that it contains both sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate as well as the phosphate and sulfur-based compounds ... As I understand it the combination of sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate is otherwise known as sodium sesquicarbonate, which apparently people are using alone for similar results.

https://www.tttenviro.com/wp-content/uploads/MSDS-Alconox1.pdf

Here's a before/after picture from Brutus on the Nummus forum, which he described as a multi-week soak in a 5% "sexycarbonate" solution with brushing.

Victor:
For alconox I mix enough in so that it stays in solution...if it starts precipitating out, that's a bit much. It's not really important as you are going to be checking frequently and scrubbing and rinsing to see how it is coming along. You can see the reaction as the water starts turning blue.

I have three different strengths of powders-- washing soda, baking soda and alconox. Each coin is different; but I try to start as gentle as possible and see what is or isn't working.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version