Author Topic: Constantine VIRTVS AVGG ET CAESS N N from Ticinum...before and after  (Read 367 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
before and after cleaning

Constantine I
A.D. 306
Ӕ follis  26x28mm     9.7g
CONSTANTINVS NOB CAES; laureate head right.
VIRTVS AVGG ET CAESS N N; Mars, helmeted, advancing right and holding spear and trophy; • in left field.
In ex. T T
RIC VI Ticinum 75

Offline Joshmaggosh

Re: Constantine VIRTVS AVGG ET CAESS N N from Ticinum...before and after
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 09:02:36 PM »
Great results! I have a lot of coins that look like your initial coin that I’d like to clean. What method did you use?

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2023, 10:08:34 PM »
I soaked it in sodium carbonate. I used Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda for about a week and then swapped over to a product called Alconox.

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 07:47:51 AM »
Interesting - great result!

What was the appearance like after the first step, before the Alconox ? Did the Alcononx remove any greenies, or just fur surface cleaning ?

I've also heard of people using Vulpex soap, another specialized soap/detergent, for coin finishing - but not for removing deposits.

What concentration of washing soda did you use - does it make much difference ?

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2023, 10:00:10 AM »
I soaked in washing soda for about a week with just a bit of change, so I decided to go with alconox for the heavy lifting...so the alconox did most of the removal. The alconox could have removed the rest on the reverse, but I was worried about the surface of the coin...you can see on the reverse ,especially by the S and dot, how bare metal was starting to show. I guesstimate how much cleaner to use, but it was close to a tablespoon for a cup of water.

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2023, 01:23:38 PM »
Thanks.

Did you mean 1 tablespoon/cup for the soda, or for the Alconex ? That seems very strong for the Alconex, but whatever works! They talk about using a couple of tablespoons per gallon for a 1% solution for it's normal uses.

Looking at the ingredient list it's interesting that it contains both sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate as well as the phosphate and sulfur-based compounds ... As I understand it the combination of sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate is otherwise known as sodium sesquicarbonate, which apparently people are using alone for similar results.

https://www.tttenviro.com/wp-content/uploads/MSDS-Alconox1.pdf

Here's a before/after picture from Brutus on the Nummus forum, which he described as a multi-week soak in a 5% "sexycarbonate" solution with brushing.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2023, 01:43:05 PM »
For alconox I mix enough in so that it stays in solution...if it starts precipitating out, that's a bit much. It's not really important as you are going to be checking frequently and scrubbing and rinsing to see how it is coming along. You can see the reaction as the water starts turning blue.

I have three different strengths of powders-- washing soda, baking soda and alconox. Each coin is different; but I try to start as gentle as possible and see what is or isn't working.