Author Topic: Constantine I VLPP from Ticinum...Bourton-on-the-Water Hoard  (Read 180 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine I VLPP from Ticinum...Bourton-on-the-Water Hoard
« on: March 26, 2023, 06:49:53 PM »
Constantine I
A.D. 318-19
20x21mm 3.7g
IMP CONSTAN-TINVS MAX AVG; laureate helmet and cuirassed bust right.
VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP; two Victories stg., facing one another, together holding shield inscribed VOT PR on altar.
in ex. PT
RIC VII Ticinum 82

The Bourton-on-the-Water Hoard was discovered in 1970 in England. The main part of this Constantinian hoard consisted of 2,707 coins and the majority were Sol issues from London and Trier. It was probably buried shortly after the coin reform which introduced the VLPP series, so circa A.D. 318-19.

This coin was part of the scattered hoard- #590 (this coin) "Bourton-on-the-Water (Gloucestershire) Hoard of Constantinian Folles", Numismatic Chronicle 1973

this coin was likely the last one added to the hoard

"The inclusion of a VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP piece from the mint of Ticinum is of considerable interest. The presence of this coin in a hoard of 'Sol' folles adds weight to the theory that some of these pieces were issued earlier than the date of 318- 319 given to them in RIC-- perhaps in early 317. But at the time of concealment of the hoard it is probable that these pieces had not circulated very widely. Taking this into account, a date of 318-19 for the burial of the hoard seems reasonable." NC 1973 pg 101