Author Topic: Constantine I SOLI INVICTO COMITI from London...rare type  (Read 383 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine I SOLI INVICTO COMITI from London...rare type
« on: October 07, 2022, 02:54:42 PM »
I just finished watching the latest CNG auction and this exceptionally rare coin just hammered for 3k...I was not even close; but congrats to the new owner.

CNG description--

Constantine I. AD 307/310-337. Æ Follis (23mm, 4.14 g, 6h). Londinium (London) mint. Struck circa AD 311. Laureate and cuirassed bust right / Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust of Sol right. RIC VI –; C&T 6.04.001. Brown surfaces, a bit rough, flan flaw on obverse. VF. Extremely rare.

From the Paul DiMarzio Collection. Ex Roma E-Sale 17 (25 April 2015), lot 1017 (hammer £550).

About this issue, C&T write: “There are only six known examples of this coin type, all struck from the same reverse die, and the two obverse dies illustrated.”

Offline six2ten

Re: Constantine I SOLI INVICTO COMITI from London...rare type
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 11:45:43 PM »
Commiserations Victor

is the attribution to London based on style, or an obverse die link with an London reverse?

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Constantine I SOLI INVICTO COMITI from London...rare type
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 01:22:27 AM »
Yes, it is based on style (the Sol is very distinctive from other cities); though Gautier said that although he had seen no obverse die matches, he recognized the work of engraver from other issues. Here is an older post with examples from  London, Ticinum and Aquileia and Trier. Gautier suggested that these coins were probably struck at all the mints under control of Constantine at the time; so be on the lookout for examples from Lugdunum and Rome

https://www.lateromanbronzecoinforum.com/index.php?topic=1193.msg3436#msg3436