Author Topic: What kind of Fraction?  (Read 614 times)

Offline KostasAlexander

What kind of Fraction?
« on: August 28, 2022, 01:29:42 PM »
I was going through some coins of mine that I had neglected to catalog and this Maxentius fractional has me stumped.

By looking at it, it appears to be straightforward - RIC VI 238 (Roma) - Half Follis. The only issue is the size and the weight don't really line up for that one; this coin is 16mm and weights 1.70g, which would be more in line for the smaller fractions (Third/Quarter Follis, etc) ... only issue is that there doesn't appear to be this reverse legend recorded for that type with a mint mark present. RIC VI 281c would line up - only problem is this issue doesn't have a mint mark.

I've looked through Lech's site but could not find anything. Am I missing something? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Offline Heliodromus

Re: What kind of Fraction?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 01:51:31 PM »
It's RIC VI Rome 238.

There's also RIC 237 which is VOT QQ MVL X (vs RIC 238 XX).

Offline KostasAlexander

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 02:18:28 PM »
The half-folles, which RIC VI 238 is should weigh 3.0g - this one is much lighter in weight. The smaller fractions weigh around 2g, which this one more closely matches up to - but the only two reverse legends in this grouping for the smaller fractions are AETERNAE MEMORIAE and VOT / X / FEL. Any idea why the big discrepancy?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 02:33:18 PM by KostasAlexander »

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 08:58:09 PM »
From the examples I've recorded, yours seems about typical size/weight for the type.

Maxentius seems to have issued two denominations of fractions.

The VOT X FEL type measures around 19-20mm and weighs ~2.7g

The VICTORIA AETERNA AVG N (VOT X) fraction seems to be same denomination as VOT X FEL, although I've seen a few heavy outliers at 3.29g, 3.66g, 3.86g. I assume that as usual it's the die size that is being controlled and the flan size and weight are not really very good diagnostics.

The VOT QQ MVL X & XX types are clearly a smaller fraction and seem to average around 17mm with weights in 1.7-2.2g range.

I'm not totally clear what fraction of a nummus these two denominations represent, maybe 1/2 and 1/3 (although many nummi seems to be well above the implied weight standard). The above sizes and weights are from actual specimens.

Offline KostasAlexander

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 10:27:06 PM »
Thank you for the insight, much appreciated!

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 10:43:56 PM »
here's my RIC 237

Maxentius
A.D. 310- 312
Æ half-follis
16x17mm   2.2 gm
MAXENTI-VS P F AVG; Laureate head right.
VOT/ Q Q / MVL /X in four lines within laurel wreath.
In ex. RS
RIC VI Rome 237