Author Topic: Ferrando II (2010) - strange organization  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Heliodromus

Ferrando II (2010) - strange organization
« on: April 21, 2022, 02:55:47 PM »
I just received a copy of Ferrando II (bought on eBay, from Ferrando himself) and am finding it rather oddly organized ...

The book claims to be ordered by emperor, then metal, then date, but sadly the date portion of that is not true.

Within the bronze coins of Constantine the primary order seems to be reverse type (in random order?), then perhaps date, but it's really hard to tell ... For example the SOLI INVICTO coins are grouped together but precede things like the Ostia-Arles transfer and MARTI types which were issued earlier.

Even within the SOLI section I'm not sure what the oraganizing/ordering principle is, certainly not date... For example, Sol coins from the PARL C-S issue are scattered over no fewer than 17 pages, with other issues intervening between each page !! A coin that I own, Ferrando 67, dated to 318 AD, below, appears on p. 73 sandwiched between two coins dated to 316 AD. That same coin also has the odd distinction of appearing to be the largest photo in the book via another appearance on p. 16 (my photo!).

I tried looking up this CLARITAS type of mine, which *seems* to be missing from the book, but given the lack of organization (and lack of an index) it's really hard to tell. I suppose it would be found in a "CLARITAS" section, randomly positioned among the other reverse type sections, but if it's there I can't find it. Would certainly be easier if coins from the PARL C-S issue were grouped together!

Another oddity I noted was the omission of the votives RIC VII Thessalonica 84-87 (no mintmark), which based on style seem pretty securely to be from Arles.

One point of interest was the preface by Michael Amandry from the BnF, who says that the BnF has deliberately avoided expanding it's Arles collection in favor of letting the Arles museum do so.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Ferrando II (2010) - strange organization
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 03:17:06 PM »
I have always been annoyed that some "monneron hoard" coins are included as imitations.

Offline Heliodromus

Re: Ferrando II (2010) - strange organization
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 03:37:42 PM »
Interesting - I hadn't noticed that.

On the other hand he includes the Ostia-Arles transfer type for Licinius (#663) as official, when I'm pretty sure it's fake.

I also noticed he places the crescent mark as the 2nd of the Gloria Exercitvs series, before star (3rd), when that appears to be reversed. I don't see any explanation why he suggests this order, whereas the existence of star-issue VRBS ROMA coins with star in exergue suggests this came first before they realized exergual placement was too cramped.

I don't want to be too critical though .. anything like this is an immense undertaking, and I'm happy that he's working with the Arles museum to publish what they have. He also sent me a free Vrbs Roma reproduction with the book, which was nice!