Author Topic: Magnentius from Daniel Turner collection...War of 1812 veteran  (Read 350 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
This Magnentius is from the collection of Daniel Turner (1794- 1850) who was a War of 1812 veteran. At the age of 14, Turner started his Navy career. In 1813, he was promoted to Lieutenant and joined Oliver Perry’s squadron and commanded the brig Caledonia in the Battle of Lake Erie. On September 10, 1813, Turner’s suppressive fire for Perry's flagship Lawrence was so impressive and effective, that he earned a Congressional medal and a sword from the State of New York. He eventually commanded the USS Constitution in 1839 and served in the Navy until his sudden death in 1850. His collection, which included 292 Ancient Greek, Roman, medieval, and Islamic coins, stayed in his family until it was sold at auction in 2015.

https://ussconstitutionmuseum.org/crew/daniel-turner/

Magnentius
A.D. 350-3
22x24mm     4.5g
DN MAGNEN-TIVS PF AVG; bare-headed, draped and cuirassed bust right; A behind bust.
VICTORIAE DD NN AVG ET CAES; two Victories holding wreath inscribed with VOT V MVLT X.
In ex. SPAR
RIC VIII Arles 167

his handwritten description is included below, along with his picture and the auction picture of his collection.

Offline Pharsalus

Re: Magnentius from Daniel Turner collection...War of 1812 veteran
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 10:45:55 AM »
Nice coin but a super provenance!

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Magnentius from Daniel Turner collection...War of 1812 veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 11:45:23 AM »
I wanted to get one of these coins because I was in the Navy and also had several relatives fight in the War of 1812. None of them would have ever met Turner though as they were from Tennessee (The Volunteer State) and all served in the Battle of New Orleans.

One relative was my gggggrandfather Abram Bradley (13 Feb 1792- 25 Dec 1866)

Abram served under Colonel Thomas Williamson in the 2nd Regiment West Tennessee Volunteer Mounted Gunmen. This unit served from September 1814 - April 1815. According to the regimental histories, "they helped Jackson take the port of Pensacola from the Spanish on 7 November 1814. Williamson's men then participated in all of the engagements at New Orleans, where they were part of the left line of Jackson's breastworks. In March 1815 they returned to Tennessee via the Natchez Trace."