Author Topic: Constantine I, dynastic bronzes from Rome  (Read 336 times)

Online Nikko

Constantine I, dynastic bronzes from Rome
« on: December 17, 2021, 01:52:47 PM »
My last entry. The SMRP dynastic issue was produced in all four officinae (P, S, T, Q). It is the most common dynastic issue after the ones struck at Antioch. By the way, this is one of the finest specimen I have ever seen.

Offline KostasAlexander

Re: Constantine I, dynastic bronzes from Rome
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 08:49:32 PM »
Gorgeous! Beautiful patina as well!

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 09:46:37 AM »
Nice coin, Nikko !

Have you read Lars' paper "Constantine’s vicennalia and the death of Crispus" that discusses these ?

To summarize:

- There are two anepigraphic issues from Rome, one with mintmark SMRA, and one with mintmark SMRP/S/T/Q
- The SMRA issue includes Crispus and therefore dates to the vicennalia celebrations in 326 AD, it has a star in field for the caesars (same as the other mints), not a wreath
- The SMRP/S/T/Q issue excludes Crispus (now dead) and has the diademed bust for Constantine, so must date later. Lars suggests 328-329 AD for Helena's funeral in Rome

So far the SMRA issue has only been seen for Crispus and Constantine II, but presumably it also exists for Constantius II and Constantine himself. Presumably Constantine is laureate on this issue rather than diademed.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 09:49:39 AM by Heliodromus »

Online Nikko

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 03:40:06 PM »
Thanks Ben!
Lara’s paper about this coins is a sort of Bible 😁
Collecting all these dynastic bronze is a very hard and expensive work.
I have one from Antioch, Thessalonica, Cyzicus and now Rome.

Take a look to the one attached. I think is Rome mint too.

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 05:45:59 PM »
Yes, that one's Rome too - it's the only mint to use a draped (& cuirassed) bust.

I don't have the patience to try to collect all mints - just slowly collecting Antioch, although it'd be nice to have this SMRP Rome one too since it's a different occasion.

There was this Constantine one from Ticinum one (unlisted, but mentioned in RIC 198 footnote) sold in Soler Y Llach # 1123 recently.