Author Topic: The problem with lesser known Caesars.  (Read 275 times)

Offline olamorndal

The problem with lesser known Caesars.
« on: December 14, 2021, 10:10:06 AM »
As a new member of this forum, I must admit that I haven’t browsed through all the threads so my question might already have been discussed.

One of my coin “strategies” is to collect an example of all Ceasars/Augusti from Diocletian an onwards, with one “line” for western Rome and one for the eastern Rome. (At several points these two lines will of course overlap.) Some short lived or more anonymous persons are however difficult to find on coin auctions and might not be realistic to look for. I have three specific examples in mind and would be grateful if anyone could give me their thoughts about relative scarcity, and perhaps if they are often very expensive.

My three examples are:
Martinian (Caesar from July to September 324.)
Dalmatius (Caesar from 335-337)
Hannibalianus (Never a Caesar but a nephew of Constantine and later killed by Constantius II like his brother Dalmatius.)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: The problem with lesser known Caesars.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 10:48:34 AM »
You can get Delmatius coins for fairly cheap...a nice example can be found for around $75.00. Hannibalianus will cost a bit more...you should be able to find a decent example in the $200 neighborhood. Martinian, though, will run into the thousands.

There are also quite a few usurpers in this period like Carausius and Allectus.

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/Reform/

Here is my page on another-- Domitius Domitianus...and there are others like Domitius Alexander and Valens...ruler with Licinius I during the 1st Civil War and more.

https://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/Alexandria/

Domitius Domitianus
A.D. 295- 296
24mm     10.8g
IMP C L DOMITIVS DOMITIANVS AVG; laureate head right.
GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI; Genius standing left, modius on head, naked except for chlamys over left shoulder, holding patera and cornucopiae, eagle to left; A in right.
In ex. ALE  RIC VI Alexandria 20

Offline olamorndal

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 12:30:00 PM »
Thanks for your information. I noticed that there is a coin from Martinian coming up on next weekends auction at Leu. It is not a very good example but it is already at 460 CHF in the prebids! (Still very cheap considering what has been paid earlier this year!)

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 01:24:09 PM »
There's pretty much zero chance it's going to end up that low.

The only way to get a cheap one would be by pure luck someplace where no one else has noticed what it is. Never say never!

I've seen one sell on eBay for ~$300 that *appears* it may be authentic, but you have to be careful ... there are fakes out there too.