Author Topic: Freeing a coin from a slab  (Read 1317 times)

Online Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Freeing a coin from a slab
« on: May 02, 2013, 10:25:11 AM »
I just won this coin on Ebay, it is a nice VLPP from Siscia with a horseman leaping over a fallen enemy inscribed on the shield. It is also from the Bishop's Wood Hoard of 1895, many of which have been on the market in the last few years. The problem is that it is in a slab, as soon as I get it, I will break it out of the plastic.

I do not like the concept of ancient coins being slabbed, but in this case it is even worse than my usual dislikes of the practice, it is also the slabbing company in question. I bought this coin from the seller centsles who sells a lot of these National Numismatic Certification slabs, but the issue is that they are one and the same. According to a little research, NNC and centsles are the same person. So this guy slabs these coins in his garage or workroom and markets them on Ebay. This is unethical but he sells a lot of coins, so he probably does not care about ethics.

Online Victor

• Administrator
Re: Freeing a coin from a slab
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
This coin looks much better out of that cheap slab.

Online Victor

• Administrator
Re: Freeing a coin from a slab
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 02:35:55 PM »
I broke another coin out of its cheap slab- note that the seller claimed this was "MS-63". I also had another thought, the foam surrounding the coins in these slabs (and maybe the slabs themselves) is probably not safe for long term storage and will probably eventually begin to have an adverse reaction with the coins.

The bottom picture is the coin out of the slab.