Author Topic: Diocletian first-issue nummus (GPR) from Rome mint  (Read 228 times)

Offline Heliodromus

Diocletian first-issue nummus (GPR) from Rome mint
« on: October 08, 2021, 11:00:14 AM »
I don't normally like to jinx myself by posting coins before they arrive, but given the state of the USPS they may never arrive anyway, so why not !?  ::)

I just pounced on this one on eBay yesterday. GBP 49 ($67) buy-it-now from a knick-knack vendor who'd attributed it to London based on the empty exergue.

It's really RIC VI Rome 45a from the first post-reform issue at Rome with just "R" in field. I clicked on it so fast I hadn't even realized it didn't have the officina in exergue (2nd issue), which I'd have been quite happy with too, since it's to pair with a "CONCORDIAE AVGG" post-reform radiate from that same 2nd issue. These 1st issue nummi from Rome (RIC 45-46) seem quite rare. I've only otherwise seen the BM specimen for Maximianus.

I like the patina on this coin, and won't be touching it. I have zero complaints with the greenies as long as they don't obscure anything major, and would 200% prefer an obviously as-found coin vs the recent shoe-polish NN fodder ( a real shame - they've got a lot of nice material, but I'm abstaining from their current auctions due to this).

« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 11:07:07 AM by Heliodromus »

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Diocletian first-issue nummus (GPR) from Rome mint
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 11:30:07 AM »
Yes, I wouldn't clean it either, it is very attractive as is; and as you note, nothing is obscured.