Author Topic: Recent prices  (Read 383 times)

Offline Heliodromus

Recent prices
« on: September 23, 2021, 11:01:43 AM »
More ludicrous prices from Heritage yesterday .. the perfect storm of Heritage, NGC 5/5 slab and Epfig hoard provenance has people paying $500 for a Beata Tranqvillitas.

There was a really nice Vrbs Roma posted yesterday over on CoinTalk, that had sold for a rather eye-popping price too. I get rarity of exceptional condition, but still ...

I've got three theories for these Epfig slab prices:

1) Newbie collectors, insane from covid cabin fever, and flush with nothing-to-spend-it-on covid cash, lured by the NGC 5/5 slabs

2) An inflation based move into hard assets, without any understanding of historical prices. If you keep bidding until the other guy(s) stop, then you can only have overpaid by one bid increment, right? The logic partially holds as long as only I bidder believes it.

3) Money laundering

Seriously I don't get it. Perhaps one of the above explains it. I really don't know.

I was following Heritage live due to thinking of bidding on the Constantine Gloria Ex 2 with cross issue mark. That one (in NGC MS slab) went for $288 (tip included). I'm too cheap to pay that, but perhaps a bit more reasonable given the scarcity of nice specimens and the Christian interest.

OTOH, here's one for Constantius II I paid $7.70 for in 2006.

Given these Epfig hoard NGC slab prices, I'm already planning my eventual collection disposal via Heritage. NGC slabs, "Ex. Heliodromus hoard", "Property of a gentleman".

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Recent prices
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 11:56:19 AM »
I think that most of them are newbie collectors. Heritage seems to really attract the mainly US collectors that get excited about coins in slabs and hoard coins. 

I was also watching the Constantine coin...maybe a bit pricey, but not crazy like some on Heritage.

I have, though only on rare occasion, been able to pick up rarer more expensive coins on Heritage for good prices. I think it is because the noobs have a couple hundred dollar limit, which they will spend on anything shiny, not realizing which coins are actually rare.

Offline six2ten

Re: Recent prices
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 08:09:58 PM »
This all reminds me of the boom in US coins in the early 80s, and the use of ANACS photo certificates to sell coins to investors. Impossible to know but I suspect there are people buying these for investment purposes rather than as collectors (going out on a limb here 🙂. The prices of course came back to earth before too long.

Allan