Author Topic: Constantine I campgate from Rome  (Read 432 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine I campgate from Rome
« on: September 20, 2021, 02:30:58 PM »
Here is an awesome campgate! The obverse is fierce and the reverse has an arch over the doorway and interesting circles on the turrets.

Lech has it on his Not in RIC page as a bust variety—bowl shaped helmet instead of high crested helmet; but is it a variety though? The H4 bust is merely described as helmeted in RIC. The only other example I have seen is on Beast's campgate page and is a die match to this one. The H8 bust (see Rome 187) is the same as this one with the addition of being laureate. The 3rd picture below has an H8 bust.

http://www.notinric.lechstepniewski.info/7rom178v.html

Constantine I
A.D. 318- 319
19mm     3.1g
CON-STANTI-NVS AVG; cuirassed and helmeted bust left, spear pointing forward and shield on left arm.
VIRTVS AVGG; camp gate with closed doors and three turrets, across fields P-R
In ex. RP
RIC VII Rome 178 

Offline Heliodromus

Re: Constantine I campgate from Rome
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 06:07:33 PM »
RIC VII's description of helmet types is useless, no place more so than during this Rome 318-319 time period!

In reality there are three types of basic helmet (different construction), and two types of crest (feather, horsehair), giving a total of 3x2 = 6 varieties.

The three types of helmet are:

1) The archaic type with protruding cap-like "eye shade", which RIC refers to as "Athenian" (RIC VII p.315 - RIC 60 footnote)
2) The bowl-shaped ridge helmet as seen on the Trier billion, then reintroduced in 318 on the VLPPs and contemporary types at Rome and Thessalonica
3) The "Praetorian helmet", as seen on the "Praetorians Relief", which RIC (same footnote as above) refers to as having a visor, but is really a fixed decorated browband

Each of these helmet types may have either type of crest. The ridge helmets may or may not have a laurel wreath, independent of crest type.

Of course in RIC VII's bust-type descriptions it doesn't get into these details, other than an occasional "high crested" clue (feather crest) narrowing down what they may be talking about !

Comparing bust type to coins, we can see that some helmet types can *usually* be inferred:

A D6 bust has a ridge helmet with a (typically low-lying) horsehair crest. By definition a D6 bust is also laureate, but sometime on a "D6 var" it isn't.
A D7 bust has a ridge helmet with a tall feather crest (with narrow attachment point). By definition a D7 bust is NOT laureate, but sometimes on a "D7 var" it is.
A D2 bust has a Praetorian helmet

Unfortunately the bust descriptions of these Rome P-R coins leaves a lot to be desired, starting with the fact that they use "D2" to indiscriminately refer to busts with either Athenian or Praetorian helmets. Then, having used D2 to refer to some coins with Althenian helmets, they only illustrate one coin (RIC 143) with this helmet type, but attribute that one as D6 (seems like an error, should be "D2" per their convention).

The helmet on that RIC 178 campgate is a ridge helmet with horsehair-crest (i.e. not a "high" feather crest). That *is* typical for an H4L bust for Constantine here at Rome, but not 100% consistent. For Licinius the helmet type is usually Praetorian, and that is what you'll see on an H4L for him, but I've also seen one H4L with Praetorian helmet for Constantine on a 4-turret no-door P-R campgate.

For illustration, here's an "Athenian" helmet for Constantine I recently acquired. RIC would classify that as a D2 bust, but it's better considered as unlisted vs a "real" (Praetorian) D2 bust.

Here's the Praetorian relief with their fancy-boy decorative browband helmets, with feather crests.

And here's Licinius in his typical-for-him "D2" Praetorian helmet, with a horsehair crest.

Offline Nikko

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 11:09:19 AM »
Hello Ben, thanks for this really interesting dissertation about helmets.
I got this one and I think is a D7 busy with a fluffy, tall feather crest.

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 12:08:24 PM »
Hi Nikko,
Nice coin - yes D7 bust with high (feather) crest, and so unlisted for this type.

Incidentally, Lech very recently obtained some Rome 318-319 coin photos from Vienna (see FORVM), that are referred to by RIC, and so clarify how RIC VIIs bust descriptions are *really* meant to be interpreted, when you have coins that don't exactly match either D6 or D7 bust description. It turns out that while a D7 bust normally has a high (feather) crest, and a D6 bust normally has a (typically lower-lying) horsehair crest, that the distinction Bruun is *really* making is just laureate or not! So, A D7 bust can have either type of crest, as long as it is not laureate, and a D6 may also have either type of crest (and must be laureate).

Here's a sarcastic graphic I put together illustrating the helmet and crest types.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 12:12:21 PM by Heliodromus »

Offline Nikko

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 02:34:28 PM »
What a big mess!!!  :o

So I think the coin attached is also a D7. It doesn’t?

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 03:31:18 PM »
Yes - that's another D7 (also feather crest).

Is that one yours too ?

Offline Nikko

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 05:36:05 AM »
Yes, it is in my collection and also already in Lech’s pages.
It has a high crested helmet but feathers are very stylized. I prefer the VIRTVS version…

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 07:05:29 AM »
The VIRTVS crest is nice - a bit unusual for the coins (wide attachment to helmet), but it matches the real ones on the praetorian relief (above) very well !

Your ROMAE is very nice too though. I'm still looking for that type (with D7 bust) myself.