Author Topic: Bertolami strikes again  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Per D

Bertolami strikes again
« on: September 10, 2021, 05:53:19 PM »

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Bertolami strikes again
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 06:51:31 PM »
Wow...there is absolutely no excuse for listing it again!  >:(

Offline Per D

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 12:22:38 PM »
Leaving ethical and legal aspects aside, one would imagine these companies cared more about their reputation.

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 12:33:16 PM »
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

-- Robert Hanlon

Offline Per D

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 01:41:26 PM »
Maybe I should try my luck.

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 03:12:49 PM »
I suppose this Diocletian would fit in the "rare" category, seeing as it's not genuine  :)

Offline Per D

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 03:28:53 PM »
I'm targeting a different audience than the LRBC crowd :-)

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 06:46:42 PM »
Are there any other significant pieces in the sale ?  :)

Offline Pharsalus

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 07:15:51 AM »
Although it’s a beautiful medallion with an interesting banker’s mark, I don’t think it would slab as MS so I’m gonna pass.

Offline Per D

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 12:36:45 PM »
As both of you clearly have the eye, I think you will appreciate the following offering from PNO Numismatics:

Helena (in the name of Constantine)

Gilded medalette, 21 mm, 3,93 g. 12 h. Unknown mint travelling with Helena during her pilgrimage to the Holy Land, c. 327 (Jerusalem?).

Diademed and cuirassed bust r. of Constantine wearing paludamentum, seen from front. CONSTAN- [TINVS] AVG
Crossed oblong shields with crossed spears behind. Ο ΚΑΑ ΥΙ ςω

RIC -; Voetter (Gerin) -; Maurice -; Cohen – ; Metaf Üsik: A Survey of Rare and Unpublished Coins of the Bible Lands (fortcoming): 228:14 (this coin); Cf. Jeff Thompson: Cereal Box Prizes: A Collector’s Guide pp. 395-397.

Virtually uncirculated, somewhat weak strike (as normal for issue) with parts of legend off flan. Much original gilding preserved, else with lustrous Tiber patina. Professionally authenticated and encapsulated by High Grading Numismatic Corporation (HGNC) and graded MS★★★ The finest known specimen of this excessively rare type.

From the collection Karl Friedrich, Freiherr von Münchausen
Ex collection of Victor Lustig
Ex Bernie Madoff Collection
Ex Diotima Tuzzi

Few pieces of numismatic art resonate so deeply with those knowledgeable in the cultural and religious history of late antiquity as this iconic medalette, struck at the court of Constantine’s mother during her pilgrimage to the Holy Land. Nor, indeed, is any type of late roman medallion more sought after by discerning connoisseurs. Its immeasurable historical, numismatic and theological importance, coupled with its virtual unobtainability to all but the most fortunate collectors, have inspired admiration and fascination as well as disbelief and excessive skepticism in the hearts of historians, theologians, numismatists and collectors.

Foremost of the reasons for the exalted position of the type in the collective consciousness of connoisseurs and skeptics alike is the medalette’s unique and daring combination of iconographic elements, bridging a hellenistic sensibility with an almost Byzantine level of abstract symbolism.

The obverse portrait, in its general outline typical of the period, shows Constantine as a handsome and youthful (or, perhaps, ageless) ruler. The imago of the Tetrarchic soldier-emperor and the heroic victor is here replaced by that of the benevolent Fundator quietis. While the portrait is clearly Eastern in style, it is also imbued with a bold (dare we say masculine) character, suggesting the work of a Gallic or Thracian master engraver and revealing something of Constantine’s personality. While the exact meaning of the reverse design (an unprecedented détournement of a prutah issued by Antonius Felix, procurator of Judaea under the emperor Claudius) remains enigmatic, it is certainly a reference to the apostolic age, combining Christian, Judaic and Roman symbolism and iconography in a most striking way.

It should come as little surprise that this medalette has been frequently forged, and some contemporary counterfeits are also quite convincing. Pace Hendlin, Clark and others, we remain convinced, however, that there exist three or four authentic specimens, all die-linked, of which this is clearly the best preserved. The exact reasoning behind this assessment will be laid out in greater detail in a forthcoming, multi-disciplinary study on the subject, together with an unassailable argument in favor of the absolute authenticity of the present piece.

Estimate 30.000 – 50.000 EUR
Bidding starts at 15 EUR

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 02:21:58 PM »
A wonderful coin, with an impeccable provenance that speaks volumes to the authenticity of the piece.

I vaguely recall reading about it as a child in the memoirs of Baron Münchausen.

:)

Offline Severus

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 05:47:29 PM »
I'm targeting a different audience than the LRBC crowd :-)

even coins on ebay can't do this --

"...a unique and invaluable relic of St. Constantine the Great, possibly with the power of healing the sick and give relief from famine, war, and plague."

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 06:13:57 PM »

noahsark2022 has been blessing people for years on eBay--

"...you are trading for the families blessing here, the item pictured delivers the blessing"

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 08:21:39 AM »
As both of you clearly have the eye, I think you will appreciate the following offering from PNO Numismatics

Having seen the high level of scholarship and research provided by the PNO numismatists, I'd like to consign the following coin to your next auction.

The coin was found at the bottom of a Serbian outdoor latrine over 200 years ago, and is undoubtedly rare, and possibly genuine. I was lucky to acquire the piece from eBay seller merd29, who has tentatively identified it as a siliqua of Constantine the great, dated to 355 AD. The type is unlisted in Thompson's "Cereal Box Prizes".

I trust a provenance of "From collection of a gentleman" will suffice.

Offline Per D

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2021, 04:13:11 PM »
Dear Mr Heliodromus,

I am pleased to inform you that the coin you have submitted has been accepted for inclusion in our Auction XXVI (A Selection of Rare Coins from the Collections of Remarkable Gentlemen and a Lady).

Furthermore, our conservation staff has revealed a hitherto unknown solidus or festaureus of the utmost historical importance hidden under a layer of calcification on the surface of your coin. Our head numismatist, together with the cataloguing staff and photography department, have been busy producing an updated description, a draft of which is included in this message.

Sincerely

Constantine I (307 – 337)

1½ aureus or heavy solidus medallion (festaureus), 310, mint travelling with Constantine between Marseille and Trier. 6,75 g. 22 mm. 12h

Laureate head right. CONSTANTI-NVS P F AVG
VOT / V within wreath. Cross within dotted circle (solar disc) on top.

A magnificent portrait with very light circulation marks and deep luster.

From the collection of Gentleman XII.

A special type struck in celebration of Constantine’s quinquennalia and shortly after the introduction of the solidus, this unique medallion is also clearly a contemporary testimony to Constantine’s vision of Apollo at the shrine of Apollo Grannus in Grand, Vosges, as recounted by a panegyric delivered in Trier and included in the Panegyrici Latini:

‘Having turned off from the road to visit ‘the most beautiful temple in the world’, Constantine was greeted by a remarkable sight: “For you saw, I believe, Constantine, your Apollo, accompanied by Victory, offering you laurel crowns, which each brought an omen of thirty years of rule.”’

What makes the medallion truly remarkable is the prescience with which the reverse design, with its cross and solar disc, clearly alludes to Constantine’s second vision of 312 AD. As recounted by Eusebius:

‘About the time of the midday sun, when the day was just turning, he said he saw with his own eyes up in the sky and resting over the sun, a cross-shaped trophy formed from light, and a text attached to it which said, "By this conquer." (τούτῳ νίκα) Amazement at the spectacle seized both him and the whole company of soldiers which was then accompanying him on a campaign he was conducting somewhere, and witnessed the miracle.’

The importance of this unique medallion can hardly be overestimated as its existence clearly forces us to reconsider (again) the chronology of Constantine’s vision(s).