Author Topic: Maximianus PAX AVGG from Siscia  (Read 264 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Maximianus PAX AVGG from Siscia
« on: July 20, 2021, 04:49:41 PM »

This nice coin just sold for $470. I was the underbidder; but I was only $465 interested!

dealer's description--

Maximianus. First reign, A.D. 286-305. AE antoninianus (22.6 mm, 3.85 g, 1 h). Siscia mint, struck A.D. 292. IMP C M A VAL MAXIMIANVS P AVG, radiate bare bust of Maximianus right / VICTORIA AVGG, Maximianus and Diocletian standing face to face, Victory standing left between them, her hands on their shoulders; ·XXI·A· in exergue. RIC 588-9 var.. EF, nearly As Struck. Rare and unpublished.

Offline Heliodromus

Re: Maximianus PAX AVGG from Siscia
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 05:44:01 PM »
Unless I'm misreading RIC V (quite possible!), the only reason it's not 588 is the P vs PF legend, right ?

I'd never realized it was such a rare/desirable type.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Maximianus PAX AVGG from Siscia
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 06:24:50 PM »
Yes, the difference is the legend.

They are fairly tough to find, especially in higher grades. AC Search only has 2 examples for Maximianus, one of which was mentioned in the sellers listing. There is another example that is the same. RIC calles these "radiate bare bust"

rest of the lsting which mentions the first coin below --

"This obverse legend is not recorded in RIC for this reverse type, and the type is already quite scarce with this bust type being the rarest in the series. One other, a double die match, is recorded at ACSearch, a full grade lower, sold by Nomos in 2018, hammered for $141."