Author Topic: International mail  (Read 513 times)

Offline Heliodromus

International mail
« on: July 13, 2021, 03:34:47 PM »
Hi Victor,
I'm curious how you send coins internationally? I was just at the post office sending a coin to Germany and was outraged at the price of international tracking, so decided to do without (not at all convinced it makes a difference for most countries anyway).

Do you usually bother with tracking and/or insurance, and if so specifically what service do you use?

Anyone else feel free to share your shipping experiences/advice too!

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: International mail
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 04:09:55 PM »

I mostly use regular USPS international shipping which costs about $15 and it comes with a tracking number. I don't offer registered anymore since it often doesn't even track. I also offer USPS Express; which runs around $25-30, depending on the country. Express also comes with a tracking number, though it is not always so express.  I print all the shipping labels at home.

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 04:25:41 PM »
Maybe they assumed I meant registered when I asked about tracking .. it would've been $27. I didn't ask for "registered", but anyways wasn't aware there was a tracked-but-not-registered option. Is that "USPS international shipping" specifically a package (vs letter) rate, or applicable only when using a customs form, or can it be used for anything ?

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 06:50:46 PM »
"USPS international shipping" specifically a package (vs letter) rate

Sorry for the late response...I didn't notice your follow up. Yes, the international rate I mentioned is for a package.

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 08:29:01 PM »
Thanks. I'll have to keep it in mind for next time.

Luckily the coin I mailed (to Germany) safely arrived 10 days later with nothing more than $2.40 1st class postage on it.