Author Topic: Constantine I PRINCIPIA IVVENTTVTIS from London  (Read 254 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine I PRINCIPIA IVVENTTVTIS from London
« on: July 07, 2021, 01:08:22 PM »
This coin is not in RIC, but RIC VII London 132 is Emperor holding spear and globe, with obverse of CONSTANTINVS P F AVG. It is in Cloke and Toone and "Bourton-on-the-Water (Gloucestershire) Hoard of Constantinian Folles” by D. W. Burge and this coin is supposedly from the BOW scattered hoard, if so it is #335 in the 1973 Numismatic Chronicle article, as there was only one example; which is neat if it is this coin, but no pictures or even weight given.

http://www.notinric.lechstepniewski.info/7lon-133.html

Constantine I
A.D. 317- 318
18mm      3.4g
IMP CONSTANTINVS AVG; laureate and cuirassed bust right.
PRINCIPIA I-VVENTTVTIS; Constantine in military dress standing right, head right, cloak spread, reversed spear in right and left resting on shield; crescent in left field.       
In ex. PLN     
RIC VII London --; LMCC 8.11.013

Reportedly ex Bourton-on-the-Water Hoard.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Constantine I PRINCIPIA IVVENTTVTIS from London
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 09:21:07 AM »
I have already added this coin to my London coins for Constantine

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/London/

I am looking forward to getting it, not just because of the rarity, but the possibility of it being BOW hoard. I have another Constantine coin from the hoard, very common and mediocre condition though.

Constantine I
A.D. 310
23mm     5.0gm
IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG; laureate and cuirassed bust right.
SOLI INVICTO COMITI; Sol rad., raising r. hand, globe in l.; stg. l., chlamys across l. shoulder, across fields T/F.
In ex. PLN
RIC VI London 121a; LMCC 6.02.010   

ex- Bourton-on-the-Water Hoard

The Bourton-on-the-Water Hoard was discovered in 1970 in England. The main part of this Constantinian hoard consisted of 2,707 coins and the majority were Sol issues from London and Trier. It was probably buried shortly after the coin reform which introduced the VLPP series, so circa A.D. 318-19.