Author Topic: Constantine I VOT XX from Thessalonica holding a globe  (Read 255 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine I VOT XX from Thessalonica holding a globe
« on: May 25, 2021, 10:16:44 AM »
I was photographing some coins yesterday and noticed that Constantine looks like he is holding a small globe in his left hand.

Constantine I
A.D. 318-19
18x19mm   3.0g
IMP CONSTAN-TINVS AVG; high crested helmet, draped and cuir. bust l., spear across right shoulder and globe? in left.
VOT XX MVLT • XXX • in laurel wreath with mintmark •TS•Γ•
RIC VII Thessalonica 30

it reminded me of an older example I had noticed years ago with the same item

Constantine I
A.D. 318-19
18x19mm   2.7gm
IMP CONST-ANTINVS AVG; draped and cuirassed laureate bust left with spear across right shoulder; globe? in left.
VOT XX MVLT • XXX • in laurel wreath with mintmark •TS•Γ•
RIC VII Thessalonica 29

In RIC VII Bruun footnotes Thessalonica 29 "A Alfoldi describes the obv. bust as holding sword-handle in l. hand. This is possibly correct."

This makes me think of the BEATA series, where an eagle-headed pommel is visible--

This parazonium is always held across the top of the arm, so that the whole dagger is visible. On the Thessalonica coins, the only thing visible is the small orb, maybe merely the handle with the rest under the arm, instead of across the top like the BEATA coins.

Not all of these coins from Thessalonica are portrayed the same, on some nothing is clearly in the left hand.

The globular object reminds me of consular busts with globe and sceptre, minus the sceptre over the shoulder. The middle coin below is a Licinius from Nicomedia with globe and sceptre; though the globe is bigger, the depiction is similar.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

Re: Constantine I VOT XX from Thessalonica holding a globe
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 04:29:19 PM »
I think that this object is too small for a globe. Sword-handle seems to be a good guess