Author Topic: A Constantine’s horse  (Read 526 times)

Offline Nikko

A Constantine’s horse
« on: March 31, 2021, 05:14:51 PM »
Constantin Ier, follis ou nummus, Lyon, 316.

A/ IMP CONSTANTINVS AVG.
R/ SOLI INVIC – TO COMITI/ P – S// PLG.
Bast. S.II, 603a et 608a
Bronze – 2,62 g – 18,0 mm – 6 h.
RRR. F / VF

De la plus grande rareté, absent de tous les ouvrages consultés à l'exception du Bastien, supplément II, qui donne deux exemplaires, a priori de même coin de droit que notre nummus : vente Nummorum Auctiones 1997 n° 902 et Musée Archéologique de Leon.

Many thanks to the friend who reported me this coins :)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: A Constantine’s horse
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 05:41:22 PM »

congrats...it's an awesome coin.

Offline Gavin

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 11:17:04 PM »
Wow.

Offline Gavin

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 10:17:12 AM »
So I'd like to return to this remarkable coin. I have two questions about its description (I took a look at the iNumis auction listing).

1. The auction house says that the field marks are P-S.  But I pretty clearly see A-S, in letters rather similar to the field marks on Victor's famous "imperial gestus" obverse Soli Invicto coin.

2. The bust is characterized as "diademed." But it seems laureate to me. Is diademed correct?

Thoughts on these two queries?
------------------

Lot 192. Constantin Ier, follis ou nummus, Lyon, 316
A/IMP CONSTANTINVS AVG
Buste diadémé à gauche et tenant un cheval par la bride
R/SOLI INVIC - TO COMITI/ P - S// PLG
Sol debout à gauche tenant un globe et levant la main
TB / TTB
RRR
Bronze
18,0 mm
2,62 g
6 h

Bast. S.II, 603a et 608a

De la plus grande rareté, absent de tous les ouvrages consultés à l'exception du Bastien, supplément II, qui donne deux exemplaires, a priori de même coin de droit que notre nummus : vente Nummorum Auctiones 1997 n° 902 et Musée Archéologique de Leon

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 11:24:48 AM »
Yes, the bust is laureate and the field marks are A-S, the listing just had some errors. They did have the correct Bastien (Sup II) number though, 608 with Sol chlamys spread. 603 is over the shoulder.

Another example with over shoulder cloak   http://www.notinric.lechstepniewski.info/7lyo-58.html

Offline Gavin

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 10:15:26 AM »
@ Nikko,

I'm writing an essay discussing Constantine's SOLI INVICTO coinage and its variations. Do you mind if I use this photo of your "Constantine with Bridle" coin? I am happy to credit your for the photo permission. I *could* use the NOT IN RIC photo, but it doesn't have measurement info. Thanks for considering!

Gavin

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 10:38:21 AM »
Gavin,
There are lots of interesting busts on Constantine's SOLI INVICTO coins, but the busts are best understood as part of the issue/historical context since they are generally not specific to one reverse type.

In this case, RIC incorrectly dates the Lyons PLG A-S issue to 316 AD, but per the unlisted consular bust reverse, below, we know it really dates to a consular year, in this case Constantine's 4th consulship in 315 AD.

Knowing that the issue dates to 315 AD indicates that this special bust type was probably issued to celebrate Constantine's decennalia as well as the dedication of his arch.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 10:42:55 AM »

Bastien has a slew of interesting Sol issues.

Offline Gavin

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 11:54:07 AM »
Thanks Heliodromus and Victor. That's helpful contextual information and generally corresponds to what I'm learning about the Lyons mint and these issues.

Offline Nikko

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 12:43:10 PM »
@ Nikko,

I'm writing an essay discussing Constantine's SOLI INVICTO coinage and its variations. Do you mind if I use this photo of your "Constantine with Bridle" coin? I am happy to credit your for the photo permission. I *could* use the NOT IN RIC photo, but it doesn't have measurement info. Thanks for considering!

Gavin

Feel free to use it. If you want, I could take new pictures.

Offline Gavin

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 08:13:10 AM »
Thanks Nikko. I think the photo is fine. But I'd like to attribute the coin to your proper name, which you can email me using this Forum's direct message / email function or this address: <<grichard@uu.edu>>

But if you'd prefer not to include your name, I could just leave that information out.

The essay is forthcoming in KOINON. I'll give you a heads up when it appears.

Gavin