Author Topic: Constantine I - SOLE INVICTO  (Read 683 times)

Offline KostasAlexander

Constantine I - SOLE INVICTO
« on: March 18, 2021, 11:02:12 PM »
 I hope everyone is doing well!

This is my first post in the Forum. Some of you I know, some I do not .. but hopefully will get to know, but it is a pleasure to talk to you all regardless. 

Wanted to get some feedback. I just picked up a coin on eBay that I am sure a few of you probably saw when it was listed and after getting it I have some doubts regarding it's authenticity. Figured there was no better place than here than to get to the bottom of it.

This SOLE INVICTO Constantine I from Cyzicus (22mm, 4.54g) came in the mail yesterday and the first thing that struck me as weird was its almost metallic finish (the pictures don't quite capture it). It wasn't your typical silvered LRB, but almost had a mirror quality to it. Also it was incredibly smooth ... very strangely so. There appears to be some dirt on the reverse in the edges adjacent to the legend, in the exergue and Sol's head and hand but unfortunately these days that doesn't mean a coin in genuine.

Lech had put it up in his Not in RIC page on his own http://www.notinric.lechstepniewski.info/6cyz-92_con_d.html?fbclid=IwAR2JlC-Vy9XxFKWAyMskVk-Ekmd2MUgcP-2DMTpqsHTKabya3kgrjZcdG40 (his diligence on this website amazes me).

I sent a video to Nicola who had his doubts (pointing out the wavy letters, and a break in the S at 12 o'clock) and feels it may be a cast.

Figured I would throw it out there and see what everyone else thinks.

Thanks for the help!

-CV

Offline Heliodromus

Re: Constantine I - SOLE INVICTO
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 07:51:23 AM »
I'd also be a bit suspicious it may have been cast. In any case the shiny silver finish is unnatural - looks like it was perhaps silver plated and polished.

Looking at the edge of the coin, do you see more of these lines?

Ben

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 09:59:34 AM »
Yes, just from picture alone, I am suspicious.

I'm assuming the seller wasn't on a fakeseller list.

Offline Nikko

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 12:28:45 PM »
From the same issue, but different officina. This one screams ita autenticity.

Nicola

Offline Lech Stępniewski

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 12:50:44 PM »
These new pictures made me suspicious too. The coin is incredibly smooth indeed. Looks like plated cast copy. But could be also a worn genuine coin which was extensively tooled and then plated to hide this tooling.

Offline KostasAlexander

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 10:09:11 PM »
Thank you all for the feed back, much appreciated.

Below are pictures of the edges. Ben you are correct ... something going on there.

Victor, the seller was not on the fake list. Taking a look at the rest of his listings, a lot of his LRBs all seem to have that same kind of "sheen" which is very strange. A lot of them are common coins in just decent condition, wouldn't even make sense to make fakes of them .. but who knows. They do guarantee authenticity, so let's see what happens when I reach out to them. I agree with the group in your suspicions. 

If you guys are curious I can let you know how it plays out.

Thanks again for the help!
- Constantine

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 07:43:53 AM »
Below are pictures of the edges. Ben you are correct ... something going on there.

Yes - that appears to be a casting seam where the two halves of the mould for a cast coin didn't perfectly fit together. Sometimes instead of seeing this you may see signs of the edge having being filed to get rid of the seam.

What's wrong about the silver surface of the coin isn't just the polished look, but also that there's silvering where there shouldn't be. The original surface silvering on these coins was very thin and would disappear (first from high spots) with any wear. On this coin you've got some areas such as Constantine's hair that are worn yet still silvered, which means this couldn't have been original.

Hopefully you can get your money back.

Ben

Offline Lech Stępniewski

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 12:45:56 PM »
Well, another "unlisted" forgery to note...

Offline KostasAlexander

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 09:35:26 AM »
Got in touch with the seller on eBay for the fake SOLE INVICTO. Explained the several reasons why this coin is a fake.
The good news is he said he would give me a refund once he receives the returned coin. The bad news is he is digging in his heels and sayin it is authentic.

"Thank you for the message!
We understand your concern about the coin.
For us, the coin is authentic, because every coin we sell is checked by an expert.
But there can always be exceptions ...
In our opinion, the reason is the way of cleaning the coin
But of course, we accept returns and will refund your payment."

I have a feeling this coin will be posted again for sale once they get it back and it's always disappointing to see fakes return to the marketplace.

Offline KostasAlexander

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2021, 05:46:12 PM »
It looks like the seller has put this one back on the market unfortunately. Sad they would continue to try to sell it even after pointing out all the reasons outlined on this thread on how it was fake.

Very disappointing.