Author Topic: the joys of selling coins  (Read 948 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
the joys of selling coins
« on: February 02, 2021, 04:04:31 PM »
Usually I have no problems when I sell a coin, but this guy was something else. I mailed a coin to Spain on 31 August. Exactly a month later, the person opened a Paypal dispute against me, without even talking to me first. He then messaged me through the dispute center saying he knew it was not my fault, as his package was tracked into Spain. 1st message below--

"Dear Sir: I know you sent the item to Spain and the coin is still here in Madrid Airport; but I don't know why it hasn't arrived in Malaga yet. Sorry for any inconvenence for you because I know this is not your fault."

Paypal actually did not automatically side with him, as I had proof of mailing, one of their Paypal shipping labels, and proof of shipping from the USPS. A few months later this guy messaged Vcoins admin and called me a liar, saying that I had not even mailed the coin, because, yeah, I rip off customers. Part of his message--

"Creo que este señor me ha engañado y no me ha enviado mi pedido."

Translation -- I think this gentleman has deceived me and didn't send me my order.

I explained to admin what was happening and that I had nothing more to say to the person. Well, anyway, the package was returned to me today, as undeliverable with a stamp from the Spanish post-- direccion incorrecta. Remember, I used a Papypal shipping label with an address supplied by the customer. I refunded him the full amount today, even shipping-- it's worth it to never deal with him again...and yes, I blocked him from future sales. Anyway, I am just venting...thanks. :D

Offline Heliodromus

Re: the joys of selling coins
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 05:36:22 PM »
I don't think I'd survive in a job where I had to deal with the public all the time!

My commiserations!

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 06:20:58 PM »
Normally it is not a problem and often it is even a pleasure to interact with some; but every now and then...yikes! Of course there are always people trying to rip me off with stolen credit cards; but that comes with the territory. One night I had someone order around 100 coins with a stolen card; but it was obvious (billing address and shipping address were in different countries), so no coins for him.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 11:48:34 AM »

I had a message last night that a customer had submitted a coin to NGC for slabbing but they could not authenticate, for whatever reasons. He then said that he would never order from me again. I replied that every coin I sell is guaranteed by me and refunded him. I also told him to keep the coin, or throw it away. Below is the coin.

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 12:15:42 PM »
I wonder why they couldn't/wouldn't authenticate it? Maybe if you posted it to CT Barry Murphy might know something about it.

Strange reaction from your customer! I'm sure he feels vindicated since you told him he could keep the coin as well as refunding him! I think you were too generous!

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 01:04:40 PM »
I have a bit of a guilt complex, so when somebody basically thinks that I cheated them, I feel pretty rotten. Refunding him and letting him keep the coin was worth it to me, especially since I will never sell another coin to him. It can also be a nuisance for some people to return a coin and I don't want this person to have more reasons to grumble. Also, the coin has been "tainted" now; I could never resell it without disclosing that at one point, NGC could not authenticate it.