Author Topic: Constantinopolis from the Epfig Hoard  (Read 693 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantinopolis from the Epfig Hoard
« on: January 18, 2021, 10:38:44 AM »
I have recently bought several of these...hasn't everyone?

The Epfig Hoard does not seem to be documented, but it was close to 14,000 coins discovered by construction workers in Epfig, France in 2010.

This coin shows how little I attention I paid and how little NGC paid...the coin is reversed in the holder. First time I have seen that, surely there is a premium attached to the holder now.  ;D

Offline Heliodromus

Re: Constantinopolis from the Epfig Hoard
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 11:05:31 AM »
That a nice coin.

I've previously tried googling for anything on the Epfig hoard and basically come up empty handed. Not sure how these things are handled in France, but surely there's a hoard report somewhere listing the breakdown of the hoard?! A few photos of the rarer one would be nice too!

hasn't everyone?

No, I've failed!  :'(

I was too cheap and missed this one that went for $336. Someone got a steal on it given the condition.

14,000 is a lot of coins .. wonder how much has been sold, and what else is left? Have you heard anything about how the hoard was sold/distributed? Was is sold as a whole or parcelled out in chunks?

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Constantinopolis from the Epfig Hoard
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 11:38:44 AM »
that Helena is awesome...I missed it when it auctioned.

I haven't seen anything about any kind of report being done for the hoard.

from another forum I saw this bit about it-- the coins were first held by DRAC (Regional Directorate of Cultural Affairs) for 5 years, "but the municipality finally regained possession at the end of June 2017. A first offer from collectors was first declined and then finally accepted by the City Council after a proposal for a more compliant sum of € 50,000."