Author Topic: Boring LRBs ...  (Read 802 times)

Offline Heliodromus

Boring LRBs ...
« on: December 24, 2020, 09:50:24 AM »
I just read this opinion over on CoinTalk (I'm not a member over there) :

I just can't get behind any Roman coins from the Constantine era onward, I find them just boring, no variation in the busts, with same reverse designs, the only aspect that makes the late Roman coins interesting (at least to me) are the different mints.

I think this is probably a fairly widespread opinion, with Constantine-era coins regarded as the realm of beginners, but how wrong can you be on all fronts !

For Constantine we have over 100 reverse types (never mind sub-types and varieties) and I wouldn't care to guess how many bust types. From what I've seen the bust variety on earlier imperial types doesn't even come remotely close in terms of variety. Even London 311-312 alone, or Crispus's Trier, would seem to put most other emperors to shame !

I guess from the outside looking in, it may seem that Constantine only issued soli invicto, votives, campgates & gloria exercitvs, and I guess anyone only looking at these 4/100+ uber-common types is consequently also missing the bulk of the bust varieties.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Boring LRBs ...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 10:12:09 AM »
There are a lot of uninformed opinions on the internet. I have been a member at CT for 13 years but do not post often. There is an option there to hide topics which I often do for anything about Constantine because I wind up getting into "debates" with people. I am passionate about some topics and have mistakenly posted only to realize my error.

I responded to the person on CT and linked to my reverse types page for Constantine...I should not have even responded though.  :P

about 5 years ago I saw this quote on Forum, where I do not even post anymore  "I think I'd be wasting my time offering her LRBs, she's past that before she even arrived."

https://www.lateromanbronzecoinforum.com/index.php/topic,605.0.html

I have noticed a lot of LRB snobbery over the years and I just chalk it up to ignorant people.

Offline Gavin

Re: Boring LRBs ...
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 12:55:32 PM »
True for all. Such a comment says more about the collector than it does about the coins. In a goofy parallel, I sort of felt the same way about soccer. Then I started to coach it for my kids. Then my kids started playing a lot. And then we started to watch a lot of European soccer. When you know what to look for, things get interesting.