Author Topic: 2 unofficial coins in ROMA auction  (Read 733 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
2 unofficial coins in ROMA auction
« on: November 27, 2020, 12:41:07 PM »

here are two nice unofficial issues currently in a ROMA auction; but they seem to think that they are official-- "Possibly a unique variant of an extremely rare type." and  "Apparently an unpublished variant." They are both definitely unofficial issues, so I hope someone does not pay a lot thinking that they have unlisted varieties.

Lot 1395.Constans Æ 13mm. Lugdunum, AD 342-343. CONSTANS P F AVG, laurel-and-rosette-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust to right / VICTORIA AVGVSTORV, Victory advancing left, holding wreath and palm branch; S(retrograde)[LG] in exergue. Cf. RIC VIII 37; cf. CNG Mail Bid Sale 84, lot 1532. 0.86g, 13mm, 6h.

Extremely Fine. Possibly a unique variant of an extremely rare type.

Lot 1398.Constantius II Æ 14mm. Treveri, AD 337-340. CONSTANTIVS AVG, pearl-diademed and cuirassed bust to right / VIRTVS AVG N A T, Soldier standing facing, holding spear and resting hand on shield; TRS in exergue. Cf. RIC VIII 73. 1.76g, 14mm, 6h.

Good Very Fine. Apparently an unpublished variant.

Offline Gavin

Re: 2 unofficial coins in ROMA auction
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 11:49:17 PM »
Pretty good unofficial coins. A barbarian that can spell!

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: 2 unofficial coins in ROMA auction
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 12:15:15 AM »
Yes, these two coins are in pretty good style but the legends are not quite right. The first coin should be VICTORIA AVGVSTORV; but it looks like AVGASVORV and the retrograde S in the mintmark. The second coin should be VIRTVS AVGG NN; but looks like it ends with AVGNNT.

I have attached official examples, though the VICTORIA AVGVSTORV is from Constantius not Constans. Comparing the official coins with the unofficial, you can see the style is a bit crude.