Author Topic: two auction catalogues...ex-Bastien  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
two auction catalogues...ex-Bastien
« on: November 21, 2020, 02:50:06 PM »

I just won these two old auction catalogues. I have been casually looking for them because they were listed in Spring's "Ancient Coin Auction Catalogues 1880- 1980" under "Most important sales of Roman Imperial coins" Part of the reason I wanted these, though, is that they are both ex- Pierre Bastien. I have plenty of books he wrote, so I might as well have some he owned.

Ars Classica/Naville et Cie. NO. XII. CATALOGUE DE MONNAIES GRECQUES ET ROMAINES, QUELQUES MÉDAILLES DE LA RENAISSANCE ET DES TEMPS MODERNES, PIERRE GRAVÉES, BIBLIOTHÈQUE NUMISMATIQUE COMPOSANT LES COLLECTIONS DE FEU E. BISSEN DE COPENHAGUE, DE M. JULES WERTHEIM DE BERLIN, DE SIR ARTHUR J. EVANS DE YOULBURY, BERKS, F.S.A., M.A., D.LITT., LL.D., PH.D., F.R.S., F.B.A., DE LA SÉRIE PARTHE DE FEU ALEXANDRE DE PETROWICZ ET DE PLUSIERS AUTRES AMATEURS. Lucerne, 18-23 octobre 1926. 4to, contemporary green cloth and marbled boards; spine lettered in gilt; marbled endpapers; original printed card covers bound in. (6), 207, (1) pages; 3172 lots; 88 fine plates depicting all single-coin lots; 1 monogram plate. Neatly priced in ink. Near fine. Ex Louis Ciani Library, with his name impressed in gilt at the base of the spine; ex Pierre Bastien Library, with his bookplate. Clain-Stefanelli 3047. Grierson 280, 282. Spring 481 [also listed under "Most important sales of Celtic coins," "Most important sales of ancient Greek coins" and "Most important sales of Roman Imperial coins"].

Bank Leu & Co. AG and Münzen und Medaillen AG. SAMMLUNG WALTER NIGGELER. 1.-4. TEIL: GRIECHISCHE MÜNZEN. RÖMISCHE MÜNZEN. SCHWEIZ. ITALIEN. Basel, 1965-1967. Four catalogues complete, bound in one volume. 4to, later tan linen and marbled boards; red spine label, gilt. Frontispiece portrait; 67, (1) + 63, (1) + 64 + 28 pages; 1604 + 250 lots; 116 plates in all. Estimate lists bound in. Near fine. Ex Pierre Bastien Library, with his bookplate. The complete set of catalogues of this notable collection. Clain-Stefanelli 1981. Daehn 2025. Grierson 285. Spring 412-414 [412 also listed under "Most important sales of ancient Greek coins"; 413 also listed under "Most important sales of struck Roman Republican coins" and Roman Imperial coins"; 414 also listed under "Most important sales of Roman Imperial coins"].

Offline tjaart

Re: two auction catalogues...ex-Bastien
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 05:39:23 PM »
Nice purchase! I always find it nice to own something that was owned by another famous person in the field. It sort of gives it a special meaning and if you manage to get one of their coins, even more so.

T