Author Topic: Help on this one?  (Read 853 times)

Offline Arv

Help on this one?
« on: October 04, 2020, 05:03:10 PM »
Im new to ancient coins, and I'm having a hard time with this one, it's pretty rough. I adjusted the photo a little to try and make the details stand up as best as possible. Any help would be appreciated. Size approx. 19x21mm and 2.9-3.0 grams

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Help on this one?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 06:42:45 PM »
Hello Arv and welcome.

I am not completely sure myself, but on the obverse I seem to be able to make out the end of the legend as LIANVS AVG which makes me think Aurelian. The reverse is a common theme with several different types; but I have included an example below that seems similar to yours, though it seems your coin  has a draped and cuirassed bust. I also seem to be able to make out VT (like in RESTITVT) in the reverse legnd of your coin.

I can also maybe see your reverse ending with MIANVS AVG; which would make it Maximianus and the last picture below is a similar reverse type.

So, unfortunately, I am not sure.

Aurelian
A.D. 270- 275
Ӕ Antoninianus
22mm    3.3gm
IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG; radiate & cuirassed bust right.
RESTITVT ORBIS; Victory, holding palm, presenting wreath to Aurelian, who stands right with his left hand outstretched and holding a spear; S in center.
In ex. XXI
RIC Vi Antioch 386

Maximianus
A.D. 293
21x22mm   3.5gm
IMP C M A MAXIMIANVS AVG, radiate and draped bust right.
CONCORDIA MILITVM, Emperor standing right in military dress, receiving Victory on globe from Jupiter leaning on scepter, S between.
In ex. XXI•
RIC V Cyzicus 607

Offline Arv

Re: Help on this one?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 11:38:24 AM »
Thank you so much for the information Victor! Based on that I was looking around and found this one, I think it's a solid maybe. I think (though it's hard to make out on the photos, the light has to be just right) that the letter directly above the point of the crown that is still visible is an X.