Author Topic: Constantine II second consulship, BEATA type from Trier  (Read 586 times)

Offline seth

Constantine II second consulship, BEATA type from Trier
« on: July 27, 2020, 05:19:05 PM »
Hi,

It's been a long time since I last posted here. The last 5 years I have found myself attracted more and more towards medieval coinage and have actually engaged with French feudal and royal numismatics, as well as Crusader and Romaion/Byzantine numismatics. Slowly but surely though, I'm starting to feel the attraction of this old love I have for the Late Empire.

Here is an interesting coin:

CONSTANTINE II as CAESAR and CONSUL

AE3 18mm 2.30g follis, minted at Trier, 321.
CONSTANTINVS IVN N COS II; laureate bust left, wearing trabea, holding eagle-tipped sceptre in right hand.
BEATA TRA *** N QVLITAS (?); altar inscribed with VO / TIS / XX
PTR
not in RIC VII Trier (should be before 312), not in RMBT.

Not In RIC has a similar specimen listed http://www.notinric.lechstepniewski.info/7tri-312.html, on which the note is:

"Not attested for this issue (p. 190). But cf. footnote 312 on p. 191: "Some of the obv. busts recorded for Constantine II have not been found: CONSTANTINVS IVN N C • COS II, bust K3 l. (CG) and the same bust with CONSTANTINVS IVN N COS II (Maur., loc. cit., rev. V. 43 and CG)." Cf. also LYONS 143. Note error in rev. legend and poor lettering. Coin could be regarded as an ancient imitation. Not listed in RMBT, cf. NOT in RIC [before Trier 312] and on another spec, but with altar inscribed VO / TIS / XX."

Possibly an unofficial issue, although a well-made one and some discrepancies could be put on the account of the conservation, at least on the obverse.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Constantine II second consulship, BEATA type from Trier
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 07:13:47 PM »

it seems official, though the state is rough.