Author Topic: Unofficial or fake campgate?  (Read 840 times)

Offline tjaart

Unofficial or fake campgate?
« on: June 24, 2020, 03:18:36 PM »
Hi all,

I recently won a Licinius I, RIC VII Heraclea 39 campgate. The main reason I bid on it was that the reverse lettering (and parts of the obverse) made me think this is unofficial. Having looked at the image closely (will get the coin on the weekend), I am wondering if it is unofficial or a modern fake?

Any opinions on this one?

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Unofficial or fake campgate?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 03:52:31 PM »
it's a tough call. I think probably unofficial, but I have seen fakes with thin letters, especially note the mintmark. The obverse legend is much thicker than the reverse legend letters. Perhaps it will be easier to tell in hand. I have had a few coins that I wondered if they were fake or unofficial and I just wait and watch to see if more show up. If fake, more will start popping up.

Offline tjaart

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 04:37:39 PM »
I just received the coin and in hand it looks ok and unofficial. I might be imagining it but it is almost as if the reverse die was recarved at some point. The entire reverse legend looks to have thinnish letters except for the AVGG part which more traditional. The same for the exergue. The S looks sharp but the last A looks more official.

I attach a couple of pics snapped with my phone.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 04:58:43 PM »

it might be that a different person did the letters for the obverse and reverse; which would account for the differences.