Author Topic: Maximianus VOT XX  (Read 1662 times)

Online Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Maximianus VOT XX
« on: May 15, 2019, 03:39:06 PM »
I just saw this on eBay. it looks like a modern fantasy piece. 21mm  2.9gm

the response from the seller--

"Thanks for writing: My problem is I have had a lot of discussion from people interested in this as a fouree but ancient. So if I pull the auction I will actually make a lot of people upset. Also, that wear on the wreath on the reverse is hard to make anyway but time and that reverse is the reason more than anything I thought it was a fouree and listed it as such. I respect your opinion and you may indeed be correct. But with my business model, starting at $1 no reserve, people get invested in an auction early on and I do have a life time guarantee I will always honor. And my doctorate is in Chemistry and that obverse where it is corroded, if you paid me hundreds of dollars I could not figure out how to make such a pattern. The letters seem struck, the inner metal then the layer of silver oxide that is black, then the brownish hybrid alloy oxides / maybe sulfides, finally that silver coating. It looks like a stuck plated fouree that had some decent wear on the reverse. And I agree there is no actual coin that probably matches what the person created but they still could have created it in ancient times. Like look at some of these plated fouree coins below, how they behaved chemically with age. Again as a top rated seller anyone can return a coin for any reason and the money is removed from my paypal account automatically and I also personally back for life. But the buyers deserve the chance to test it for a while at the least. I hope you understand, I sell old estates and sometimes yes the old collector made an error. I have about 100 coins easy I have in a black box I have pulled and will never sell, I have no issue doing that. But this one the buyer will feel deserved study and trust me, the person will be upset if I pull this auction.
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3410839"