Author Topic: Julius Caesar denarius on Pawn Stars  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Julius Caesar denarius on Pawn Stars
« on: April 18, 2019, 02:50:23 PM »
I was watching an episode of Pawn Stars (S12 E34) which featured a Julius Caesar denarius. There were some guests that many will be familiar with. The person selling the coin was Ilya Zlobin, the infamous eBay seller highrating_lowprice. If you are not familiar with this guy, his tactic is to seriously overprice his coins then lower the price to make people think that they are getting a deal, when the coin is still usually very overpriced. He asked $4,400 for the Caesar coin and the owner, Rick, called an expert. The expert was David Vagi, who works at NGC and wrote the two volume set Coinage and History of the Roman Empire.

David said that he thought the coin might be worth $1500. Ilya said "to me it seems almost ridiculous that someone would sell it for that." David said he was pricing it on what he had seen other examples sell for. So Rick offered $1,000 and Ilya said "is this a real offer? That's not a legitimate offer, you are just using your position here trying to buy something for below market value." He then lowered his asking price to $4,000 then $3,500. Rick declined to buy the coin.

Of course a lot of this show is staged and Ilya probably just wanted to be on television and knew he would not sell the coin.

Offline livingwater

Re: Julius Caesar denarius on Pawn Stars
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 09:12:44 AM »
Yes, I've never bought anything from Ilya.  I'd call his business Low Rating High Price.