Author Topic: Constantine I with no mintmark  (Read 3229 times)

Offline PierreT

Constantine I with no mintmark
« on: March 26, 2019, 09:53:39 AM »
I've been searching for hours but can't seem to find anything, anywhere... Maybe I'm missing something. Trier has the same combo of obv legend (different bust) and reverse legend/type (with mintmark). London has it too. I'm still waiting for it to arrive so, no weight, dimension (about 25mm I'd say) or additional info on composition...

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Constantine I with no mintmark
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 10:26:56 AM »
Hello Pierre and welcome.

I saw that coin when it was up for auction and my first impression was that it seemed odd. It is hard to be sure from just a picture and perhaps you will have a better idea when you get it, but it does not seem correct for an ancient coin.

However, my impression may have been strongly influenced by there not being a mintmark, which may only be the result of a weak strike. The lighting is not doing the picture any favors either, but the surfaces look too smooth, especially the reverse. The edges of the flan also look very smooth, when I would expect an ancient struck flan to look more irregular.

Offline PierreT

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 10:38:30 AM »
Yes, it does look strange... Silver like, very young looking Constantine, and the rest... Will post better pics/weight when it gets here (should have waited, but I was intrigued ;D ). Thanks Victor !

Offline PierreT

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 03:29:33 PM »
So here's the thing ??? Looks like silver, 24.9 mm / 4.63 g (quite thin), not struck, but cast apparently. An old (19th cent. ?) memorabilia of some sort I'd say...

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 03:39:10 PM »
Thanks for the follow-up. Yes, I would agree and say it is some sort of tourist piece.