Author Topic: Ethical question regarding unidentifiable roman coin  (Read 1880 times)

Offline tjaart

Ethical question regarding unidentifiable roman coin
« on: March 25, 2019, 04:15:30 PM »
Hi all,

I have a question regarding the ethics (if any) of repurposing unidentifiable roman coins. I have a lot of late roman bronze coins from uncleaned lots that are so badly corroded that they cannot be identified. Selling them is obviously not possible. I was thinking it would be quite nice to take all these coins and get them melted down into some kind of small bar. My question is would this be considered ethical in terms preserving history? On the one hand I feel like these coins are 1700 years old and should be preserved but on the other hand there is nothing about them that makes them useful at all.

What are you opinions on this?

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Ethical question regarding unidentifiable roman coin
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 04:41:05 PM »
I see nothing wrong with it when coins are basically slugs. In very poor condition, these coins serve no purpose. I have thousands of them and have thought about using them in a project, maybe something like the tables below that have coins embedded on the surface in resin. The link is a video about making a penny floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN5kYIRpNTI

Offline tjaart

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 03:21:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Victor. I really like those table tops! I might try it with some of my more modern coins at some point.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 04:55:51 PM »
The talk of museum coins in comparison to corroded slugs in your possesion on FAC is way off point. It is comparing apples and oranges; which is a logical fallacy...unless someone is suggesting that museums buy large groups of uncleaned coins (many of which turn out to be slugs) from places like eBay. I have many LRB's that are nothing more than corroded bronze discs and to suggest that they may have any sort of value is equal parts ignorant and ludicrous. Museums have coins that are very rare, or exceptionally nice or groups that were either found together or donated as a collection. I do not have any slugs with a provenance like a find spot, and that is the only conceivable way that they might have any worth--and that is debatable if you can't actually I.D. them.

The concept that every coin is sacred (Monty Python reference) is merely a romanticized notion and not even remotely practical. After decades of buying and selling, I have thousands of cruddy bronze coins...I guess I should open a museum.  ::)